How do I correct a professor without coming across rudely?

The professor answered a question of mine incorrectly. I found a journal article that I found interesting and would like to bring to her attention. I don't want to come across as an *** however. How do I present it to her without putting her off?

There's no way you can correct her without coming across as an ***. Just avoid it altogether. Some things are better left unsaid.

Just speak to your professor in private and say something along the lines of "remember that discussion regarding xyz we had a while back? I found an interesting article related to that topic and wanted to share it with you. If you have a chance, please take a look as I'd like to hear your views on it."

This way, you won't be contradicting the professor, but will simply show that you would like their further opinion. I don't think this would come off rudely.

I understand correcting a professor is something you want to do. If I were you then I would not attempt to correct a professor unless if I am more intelligent than him, or her.

• Well it wouldn't be so as to say that I'm more knowledgeable than them.

• geezer

Say something like ''Do you remember when you told me .......... ?''

and then say ''Well .. I found this article. What do you think of it ?''

That way you aren't saying ''You're wrong''

you're just asking them to comment on another point of view.

Go talk to them and present the article backing up your view of the question.

It isn't clear whether you want to "correct" your professor or simply engage in a discussion based on some data (the article) that supports an opposing view.  The best way is to go to office hours or approach the professor after class and say something along the lines of"Professor Smith, remember last week when I asked about XYZ?  I just found an article that supports the 123 theory.  Have you seen it?  Could we discuss this one a coffee?"

It may come as a shock to you to know that experts in just about every field disagree with each other a lot. The fact that you find something stated in one article doesn't mean that there aren't a dozen articles saying exactly the opposite. You could go to her and ask what the basis for the disagreement is, and maybe she'll explain why her opinion is different. 

There are scholars who swear that Shakespeare didn't write anything- all the works were written by someone else, and others who swear Shakespeare wrote every word. 

• Well, and it's pretty evident in tissue slides as well. Not sure that this fact is argued much in the field.

• :)

Coming from personal experience, don’t correct the teacher. Even if you’re nice/civil about it, some of them have egos.

Source(s): Nicely corrected a biology teacher ONCE, and for 3 years he gossiped about me behind my back and online.
  • martin

Don't present it to her at all. Don't get her ruffled. Your grades are at stake. Don't risk it.

Photocopy it and give it to her with a note to the effect that you thought that she might find it of interest and that you would be interested in getting her opinion.