I have constant acid reflux, what could be the cause of it ?

Recently, I had cereal and milk for breakfast, spaghetti for lunch, and fish patties and a salad for dinner. For dessert, I had some chocolate.

The next day, I had eggs for breakfast with coffee and orange juice, mac and cheese for lunch, and a sub sandwich with chips for dinner. For dessert, I had a cookie. 

I am a healthy 27 year old female and weigh around 112 lbs. I have a thin frame but I get constant acid reflux. For three days now, I have had churning acid. I went to my doctor to have a blood test and a scan but they said everything was normal. I had somewhat low red blood cells and slightly low white blood cells. They put me on medication for about a month, it was one of those acid blockers. It helped a little but not much. I eat like everyone else and I don't eat huge amounts of food. I sometimes get upper right abdominal pain and I usually get slight constipation. I'm actually feeling tired from this.

What could be causing this? 

I know that you may feel frustrated with this, and can completely feel for you. I have been living this for a very long time myself.  It can be diet related, but it also can be with your sphincters not closing properly, your gallbladder, and other issues. You really need to see a doctor to get to the bottom of this.  I know with me, I needed to get an upper scope, and an ultrasound and barium swallow for them to determine the origin of the problem.  I have been using tecta and raberprazole for a long time. They changed my meds now to carafate which has help mildly. I also take tums, gaviscon, and things like this that help too.  So please see a doctor, specifically a gastroenterologist that will be able to help you with this problem.

I went for months with unbearable acid reflux. I would wake up at night unable to sleep because of it. After a few doctor's appointments I was told to try Omeprazole; it has saved my life!!!!!!!!! I took it every night for the first couple weeks, but I haven't needed it for a while. Sometimes I take it when I've eaten a lot of junk food, just in case. It really works.

Any food containing tomatoes will also cause heavy acid reflux due to the high acid content

orange juice or oranges are the worst thing

a person with acid reflux can take

also raise the head of the bed about 2 inches

you need to take esomeprazole 40mg at night

for a week then reduce the dose to 20mg

eat 2 hours before bedtime

Eno fruit salt in half a glass of water before going to bed helps me a lot

Thats been my biggest woe of my adult life. And for the past few weeks I can hardly notice. I mean it was so bad I wanted to die because I saw no hope in eating the foods I want and suffering with it afterwards. Guess what? Ginger tea. Shocking the relief I found. I'm in love and I dont even need to drink it that much. Good luck. I  feel you.

(AR = Acid Reflux.)

Your problem stems from chronic dehydration including a salt deficiency.

Besides producing insulin, another job the pancreas has is to break down salt into the components sodium and chloride. The body uses the chloride to produce hydrochloric acid to break down food for assimilation.

The sodium is used to produce a mild bicarbonate solution to protect the stomach from the burning effects of hydrochloric acid.

This step isn't happening for you because you're not giving your pancreas the water and salt it needs to work properly.

(Not that you have anything to worry about necessarily, but salt also regulates the body's blood sugar. Research has found insulin resistance to be associated with chronic dehydration.)

To fix the problem you should avoid water substitutes that promote dehydration (soft drinks, caffeine, sugar-free beverages/food, etc). Also, you should dissolve a pinch of sea salt (1/8 tsp) on your tongue followed by 16 ounces of water 30 minutes before eating and again 2 hours after eating to complete the digestion process.

There's nothing wrong with your menu. Just be sure to get adequate exercise (walking is best) to promote proper circulation.

You might find that following the water and salt protocol, other health issues you may have will lessen in severity or disappear completely because every function in the body requires water and when the dehydration is corrected it will have a positive effect on everything else.

• Tavy

I have AR and most of your diet would kill me. Orange juice is acidic, coffee is also, fish patties are hard to digest, AND a sub sandwich and chips? Your digestive system is overloaded. You need to eat small bland meals to settle your stomach.

Look up AR, it will tell you what you should be eating.

• owlxxeyes1 month agoReport

What does AR stand for? I've tried looking it up and found a ton of different meanings