If a white woman born in Africa moves to America and have a baby is that baby African-American?

I have a client born in South Africa and she’s moving to America with her Husband...I was wondering if that baby is born on American soil is that white baby African-American? 

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Cathy
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Absotubely.  No question about it 

• 4 weeks ago

Theres no such thing as 'African American'. Those are nationalitys. Besides you can only be one nationality at a time. If the baby is born in the US technically it is American.

• Michael S3 weeks agoReport

not true. I can be an American and a Peruvian at the same time. Nationality refers to a person who is a Naturalized citizen of a nation. As long as the nation allows dual citizenship you can be a multinationality.

• 4 weeks ago

YES... ANY person born in AFRICA IS AFRICAN.. IF they move to a different country they are STILL AFRICAN.. THERE is NO LAW that says a AFRICAN HAS TO BE BLACK... That's a stereotype the BLACK AMERICANS want to claim that you got to be BLACK to say your AFRICAN WHATEVER..

• 4 weeks ago

Sure.

There are no firm rules about this.

It's perfectly fine for the child, once grown up, to refer to him or herself as an African-American. If the child is white, he's a white African-American. If the father is black, the qualifier white is not needed.

But here's one for you.Woman in the US gets raped by a black dude, goes to the police to report the crime. She describes the rapist as a black man, about 6'6" tall, and the cop who takes the report writes "African-American" instead of black. Woman refuses to sign that statement, as she knows the man was black, but she had no idea if he was an American or not. For all she knows, the rapist could have been a tourist from Kenya or Nigeria, with no connection to America at all. Hence, the term African-American is totally wrong here.That tells you what a nonsense the term really is. I don't see anything wrong with describing a black person as black, and a white person as white, no matter where they come from.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

"African-American" was coined to illuminate the that fact that so many in the African diaspora have no clear idea of what part of that continent their ancestors were stolen from. Elon Musk and Charlize Theron aren't "African-American"...they're South African-American.

• stony1111
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

They weren't stolen, they were sold by other Africans. You need to read up on history.

• 4 weeks ago

It is all very odd isn't it?  Obama is described as African-American.  I have never understood why he is not Kenyan-American.  In your example the child should be South African-American

Hyphenated citizenships are really obnoxious but they should at least be logical.

• 4 weeks ago

no! the title of her race don't get added onto because of relocation. she'd be african with u.s. citizenship

ex:if a person born in asia got citizenship in jamaica and united states they wouldn't be asia-jamaican-american, they would be asian (what they always been) with jamaican citizenship and united states citizenship

• AL4 weeks agoReport

shes right you got the field nuggas,the house nuggas, and dem tree pickin nuggas….strong,fat,tall.lol

• 4 weeks ago

There was a case in the (as I recall) late 1970s or early 1980s involving a White male born in South Africa to a US citizen father and a SA citizen mother who was admitted to a university in the USA.  He had put "African American" on his admission application.  The university declined to provide him with the variety of benefits being given to Black students and he sued. During the hearing he had the Black attendees canvassed and it was found he was the only person in the room who had been born in Africa. Few of the attendees had even visited Africa and none spoke an African language in addition to English (as did the plaintiff).

The Judge ruled that "African American" referred to skin color and that only Black people of African ancestry could claim the status. .     

• 4 weeks ago

yes, if they wish to be so named

• 4 weeks ago

No -- unless the father is black.

• AL4 weeks agoReport

so if a mulatto is born here hes not American?shut up jew,whites can be African and have for centurys,SA is older than America  JEWS LAUNCHED A COUPE TO SEIZE THE DIAMOND INDUSTRY.CLINTONS HELPED ALL UNDER THE GUISE OF RACISM AND APARTHEID.demonizing hard working white south africans.now its a dump.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.