Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 4 weeks ago

Does this sound like dementia?

My elderly father is 91 years old. He has been or sound mind and generally talks like he had sense. However the past several months, he’s made accusations that my daughter is taking money from him when she hasn’t and he called a neighbor one day and turned around the next day and told them he hadn’t called, that I recorded his voice on my phone and it was me calling and playing the recording of his voice to them. 

He also makes accusations that someone has taken his medicine and hidden it inside the microwave. He will open the microwave and say “see it’s in there” but there’s nothing physically in the microwave. Could he just be dreaming or something or is it dementia?

I have been told that the sooner one has something done about this, the better. It can't be reversed, but can be slowed down. And there is literature on how to deal with it.

• PAMELA

It sounds like he has dementia, persude him to see a doctor, does he live alone? he may need some care now.

I am more than a decade younger than your father and I am having problems with my memory.  I become confused about many things, cannot always remember if I've eaten nor do I always know what day it is.  It takes a lot of effort to reason things out to get a clear idea of what I should be doing. Maybe your father is just one step further down that road than I am.  We do lose brain cells as we age but it will be different for different people.  What your father has will not, necessarily, be dementia but is probably something similar and it's worth having a word with a doctor about this.  Best wishes.

Maybe I don’t really know.

• drip

You really think he he dreaming and making phone calls?! That paranoia is dreaming?

Yes this is dementia or Alzheimer’s. Or something else. 

You should get him into the doctor immediately. 

This does, sadly, sound as if he is, at best, becoming confused.  Have a quiet talk to his GP which you should be able to do, and let them take it from there - and as said, do it asap before he does himself serious injury, or worse really.   It doesn't have to be 'dementia' per se but it is a sign that somebody should be watching out for him.   Go in gently because he probably does realise something isn't quite right, and that can be scary as much for him, as for those who love him.

It could be dementia or something else. In any case, it's quite clear there's something wrong with him. 

You should take him to the doctor and explain this kind of behavior to them in case they don't know it yet. Dementia is a rather vague term (or people use it too easily, as with depression) when it comes to describe the mental condition of someone, especially if they're old. Most of us notice that some of our elders start losing mental faculties like memory and become more selfish, dependant and paranoid. We usually call this set of symptoms dementia.  

• reme_1

It sure sounds like he has dementia. I hope he isn't living alone!!!!!!!!!!!

He needs to tested by a geriatrics specialist and you or your siblings need to find him eldercare, probably a nursing home. This will not get better. Don't wait. (I just lost my mother. I was her sole care taker for 7-8 years. It was very difficult but I got to spend time with her on the good days. )

• mokrie

Only a doctor could tell you for sure. They have what's called a wellness check for the brain that is a series of questions and drawing a clock face on paper. Take him and get him checked.

Sounds like what's happening to my grandpa right now. He's ~80 years old, just retired from being a doctor last year, actually. He was doing great until about a month after he retired (thank god). He gets confused VERY easily now, and tells the same stories / facts / etc about ten times to the same person. I was at their house the other day, where they have lived for about 25 years, and he asked where he was and how he got there. Was both alarming and very depressing to see someone who was once the smartest and most ambitious man I know look like this. Dementia is TOUGH but I'm not sure that's dementia. He is 91 years old though, some people could call that just getting older.