Spyro asked in SportsWrestling · 1 month ago

Ric Flair or Nick Bockwinkel?

Candle, even though this question is intended for you, I will understand completely if you don't want to answer this question. You're still cool, in my opinion.

Who was a better technical wrestler between the two?

Who was tougher?

Who was a better brawler/striker/chopper?

Who had better endurance?

Who stayed true to their-selves, in anything they did?

Who was better on the mic?

Who was more consistent in the ring?

Who could put on a better match at their best days?

Who had better physical strength?

Who had better psychology and story-telling?

Who was a better seller?

Who was more dangerous at applying submissions,stretches, and attacking joints?

Who brought more realism, and legitimacy in their matches?

Who was harder to pin and submit?

• Candle
    Favorite Answer

Before I even saw the inside of this question I was like "I feel targeted".

Who was a better technical wrestler between the two? Probably Bockwinkel.  Flair is a genuine showman who does know how to go technical, but I think Nick could stretch him in a heartbeat.  

Who was tougher?  Probably Nick.  I've heard more stories of Flair talking himself out of an altercation than insighting one.  I don't think either man were Freebirds level of going to bars to pick fights, but my guess is Nick could probably handle himself a little better.

Who was a better brawler/striker/chopper? I give it to Flair mainly because when I think Bockwinkel I don't zero in on his strike game.  There was also something a bit overwrought about that old Minnesota style of brawling.  Bockwinkel wasn't the worst about it, but I give it to Flair.

Who had better endurance? It's tough because Bockwinkel was known for broadway finishes that went down to the wire (for the wrong reasons), and Flair wasn't above going an hour himself.  I'll say tie.

Who stayed true to their-selves, in anything they did? Flair.  Bockwinkel struck me as a gimmick in every promo, whereas Flair was living the gimmick.  Still is.

Who was better on the mic? Flair, but people shouldn't sleep on a prime "brainy" Bockwinkel promo.  Nick could get the crowd to boo him, but Flair could start a riot.

Who was more consistent in the ring? Probably Flair.  I think Bockwinkel was good at going his opponent's pace and giving them the bigger shine.  He was there to shut them down and make the crowd boo.  Meanwhile, a Flair match from 10 years ago isn't much different than a Flair match from the 80's outside of Ric having less of a gas tank in later years.  There's something to be said to having a level of routine in the ring, and there's something to be said about not really having a routine.  I'd argue both men were the best of both worlds, but Flair kept his game up.

Who could put on a better match at their best days? Flair.  It's hard to argue when Bockwinkel's best days were.  I'd argue that he was better in the 80's grappling Hennig and Zbyszko than when he was in his younger years.  Flair's going to give you at least a good match no matter what.  On his best days he'd give you one of the best matches ever.

Who had better physical strength? Probably Bockwinkel.  You don't see Flair taking many guys off of their feet, and Bockwinkel at least went for a body slam or two.

Who had better psychology and story-telling? Flair, and I say it comes down to the Hollywood side of things.  Flair sells like a car crash, Flair emotes, and Flair's not afraid to look weak or silly.  The latter can be said about Bockwinkel too, but when I think Nick I don't think emoting, bumping, or looking bested.  He wrestled like it was a game of chess.

Who was a better seller? Flair.

Who was more dangerous at applying submissions,stretches, and attacking joints? Maybe Bockwinkel just because I never thought of him as someone who was limited to one submission.  Flair would work the leg to get that Figure Four in, but it wasn't always by legal means.  Meanwhile Bockwinkel will just grab an appendage and work it over.

Who brought more realism, and legitimacy in their matches? Nick, and it goes back to the whole 'chess' thing.  Bockwinkel treated wrestling like a sport and approached it like a sportsman.  

Who was harder to pin and submit? Just by reputation you'd have to say Nick.  If you ask whose synonymous with the AWA Championship, the usual answer would be Nick.  He only held it 4 times with a combined reign of almost 3,000 days..  If you ask whose more synonymous with the NWA title, a lot of people would say Flair, and he held it 10 times with a combined reign of a little over 3,000 days.  What does that tell you about Flair's penchant for losing and Bockwinkel's likelihood of laying down?

Ric Flair was better.