Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Is it ok to use corn starch to thicken soup?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

You can, but corn starch thickened soups tend to go slack by the next day.  It’s also easy to use too much and get a weird texture.

My favorite way to thicken a soup is to add cooked russet potato, just the well mashed starchy inside, until the soup reaches it’s desired consistancy.  Add a little at a time and give the potato time to absorb moisture before adding more.  Russets work much better than waxy type potatos as they are dryer and can absorb much more moisture.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes it is because that’s a free country.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

nope........................

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, it's "OK" but put it in a small bit of water and stir it, or else it might form "clots".

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Hope so. I've been doing it for more than 50 years. You know it works best when you mix cold water with the starch and make all of it dissolve to make a slurry, then pour the slurry into the soup or stew while whisking like crazy so you don't make dumplings.

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

iF YOU ONLY USE A LITTLE, YES

Put some cornstarch in a jug / cup add a little of the 'soup' liquid stir to make a

smooth emulsion [not too thick], then add it back into the soup slowly, stirring the soup well, when the soup simmers, it should thicken.

• 1 month ago

Leave it, DON'T TRY TO THICKEN IT. Now if I was doing soup I would boil up a small amount of rice and use the water from the rice. You can also eat the rice. ;-)

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can if you like the result.   I personally never use corn starch to thicken soup.

A sprinkle of instant mashed potato flakes works well and is very easy. 

• 1 month ago

You can just know that when it cools it will become more solidified depending on how much you add.  When you reheat the soup do not bring it to a boil. 

A flour and butter or other fat is typical for thickening soups and sauces as it will not break like a cornstarch mixture might. 

• 1 month ago

Yes it is ok just not too much

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.