Plant growing out of wall?

Does anyone know what this is? It looks like some sort of plant. It grew out of my bathroom wall. When it was growing it was in like a small eggshell and then today I find it like this with all that black stuff around it.

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Your cleaning abilities in the bathroom are "wanting"

• C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That's a fungus, the runner thing is a mycelium, the egg shell thing was a fruiting body.  Boric acid is your friend, but you need to chase it back to its source and treat everything.

• 1 month ago

Yes, the "eggshell" was the fruiting body which has now burst and scattered its spores (the black dust).  That's how it reproduces.  Get rid of it, all of it.

• 1 month ago

I suggest you google and read on mold.  Some molds are toxic.  If that eggshell thing burst and now you have black scatter, that’s a spore release.  If this is the toxic black mold I’d say you have a bit of a problem.

• Ben
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

It's not mould. Mould doesn't produce fruiting bodies, it simply creates spores on its surface.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is some form of rot - the 'eggshell' is the fruiting body which generates the spores to infect other areas. The tendrils are used to transport water to otherwise dry areas to allow the stuff to spread.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.