Were micro mini skirts considered classy fashion in the 1970s?

I was watching an old episode of the Brady Bunch, and Marcia comments to Jan that she wants to bring her hem up on her mini skirt so that she can wear it to a wedding. I found this bizarre, as I always thought you were supposed to wear appropriate and conservative clothing at weddings. 

Were mini skirts considered classy back then or something?! These days most of Cindy's dresses would be considered inappropriate because you can basically see her underwear in some of the scenes. As an adult now, I could never let my 6 yr old wear a dress like that, but in that day, it was almost normal.

I find it very odd that during a more conservative era, a micro nini was considered appropriate. Maybe it's because back then, adults weren't as concerned about paedos snatching up their kids?

I couldn't imagine letting my daughter wear some of the stuff those girls wore.

• Linda

In the late 60s throughout the mid 70s that was the style and considered decent. I agree with you.

• david

Yes mini skirts have been in fashion since the 60s' and have not gone out of style yet, and hopefully never will either

• kristy

Not sure, I wasn’t born yet

• kelvin

i think what some kids wear today is way worse

Minis were in fashion for ALL ages from about 1968-1972. Middle aged and older women usually eschewed them. Minis were worn to church, weddings, and all occasions. Usually with tights or leggings, but not always. update- That was probably the only time in history that dresses that short were worn; really just a holdover from the mini craze of the '60s. By 1976, hemlines were getting longer. And longer. 

• Wow. Weird. I wonder what changed. Maybe because kids weren't as sexualized back them so there was more freedom to wear stuff like that?