J asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Should a combat veteran be able to blame PTSD on why he shouldn't get prison time for domestic violence? ?

PtSD has entered pop culture,and cheapened as an illness,unexamined as to cause,,treatment  is akin to chicken recipes,,everyone has their own ideas,it is used by defense attorneys whose clients did what 98 percent of the human race manage to not do

go postal and shoot up the joint and all within

Not just on principle. The facts of the case and the severity of the crime are weighed in.

No, he can't use that for an excuse! Maybe he's married to an evil man-hating feminazi who puts him down all the time because he's a man! I don't blame him for beating her up! I'd like to beat up feminists too!

• J1 month agoReport

No not hardly. He's an alcoholic as well and refuses to get help. 

• Albert

Granted this doesn't answer the complex grey area of such statements. Domestic valance better be for the reason that girlfriend was able to serve a cubes worth of woo pass to you. I feel that a veteran can use such in court, but on avoiding time? Methinks I still fill that yeah. Their going to jail.

• Albert

If you don't know what I meant to say? What the Hell does such even have to do with violets? Does it matter anyway? What was I even trying to say and do I care for such now? What the Hell...

It really ultimately hinges upon the severity

of the PTSD syndrome. And in most severe

cases the Military member is bound over to

VA hospital for lengthy observation and rehab.

However as a defense I would have to say

NO.

• J1 month agoReport

He has 100 % PTSD according to the VA.

well you can always TRY and see if your lawyer will push it, and it all is going to come down to "it depends".  can it be a valid defense?  maybe.  will it work?  coin flip at the absolute best in my opinion.  the argument you are going to have to overcome (one of them anyhow),is this:  in spite of your PTSD (and you better have it WELL documented), are you going to try to tell a judge or jury that you did not know RIGHT from WRONG?

i think there is a better than average chance you will be convicted, and there go your gun rights and voting rights (of which the voting rights can be restored after you are done with your time).  but MAYBE the PTSD angle can be argued as far as length of sentence.  if you are looking at PRISON, that must have been one heck of a crime. 

• J1 month agoReport

He is charged with strangulation and assault on a female, interfering with emergency communication, and breaking a protective order.  Plus like 3 DUIs and no license. He will probably try to blame his drinking on PTSD and then blame his actions on being drunk.  

Actually, PTSD amongst many mental disorders would qualify for the verdict of "not guilty by reason of insanity." However, this does not mean that they will be let out on the streets. They will be placed into a mental facility for rehabilitation, as opposed to being placed into a prison for punishment.

Source(s): Forensic Behavioral Sciences Major.
    • Abby4 weeks agoReport

And if it has been established that the defendant has a mental disorder, the prosecution would have provide evidence that his/her disorder was not the reason he/she committed the criminal act and the verdict did, in fact, have mens rea (ill intent).

Absolutely not. 

Your mental issues, caused by whatever,   gives you no right to beat the crap out of your wife or girlfriend. 

Actions have consequences. 

No.  Unless you are going to allow the same consideration for all sob stories.

What about the child who was molested as youth who now beats his wife 

No! because then more crimes would be committed because veterans would know they'd be able to get away with it.