Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 4 weeks ago

I was called ma'am today twice and I'm only 35, why?

I don't live in the south. I'm in a city area being called ma'am. A male bus driver who was 60 called me ma'am and a cashier in her 20's called me ma'am. I feel very upset granted I'm not in my 20's but isn't ma'am for someone 45-60 years old?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best answer

You look old____

• steve
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

No they were just being polite.

they would have judged your age and thought likely your were married so Ma'am would be the polite term to use.

They might have thought if you were married and they called you Miss that you would be offended.

It is like in France correctly speaking a single lady would be addressed as Mademoiselle and a married as Madam. 

However if being polite you might address a young lady and you didn't know if she was married as Mademoiselle, The same as you would address an older lady as Madam if you didn't know if she was married.

They were trying to be polite.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Would you have preferred "Young lady"? "Kid"? "Little girl"? Remember, as soon as Queen Elizabeth ascended to the throne, she was addressed as "Ma'am" and she was younger than you. And before someone decides to comment, "Your Majesty" is for the first reference only.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Anyone over their teens can be called ma'am.

It's just being polite.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Im offended that you think a 45 year old woman should be called ma'am. This is my age.

• ted
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Being addressed "ma'am" is just a polite term, whether you are 22 years old or 82 years old.  

• Mike
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Be glad they didn't ask if you wanted the senior discount.

• 4 weeks ago

You answered your own question in the first five words. YOU LIVE IN THE SOUTH. People in the south are polite. Sorry get use to it.

• Oxinde4 weeks agoReport

^ you can clearly see the word don’t......

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I remember the first time I was ever called "sir."  I was about 28.  I was at the movies and a little kid, maybe 7, was in line in front of me buying candy at the concession counter by himself but didn't quite have enough money, so I paid the difference for him.  He looked up at me and said, "Thanks, sir!"  It was like I had just gotten punched in the stomach.

• 4 weeks ago

Ma’am is a polite way to reference a female person. Used for all ages, (teens? Check! 20s? Check! 30+ check!) your just feeling old, we all do sometimes

Wtf people called me ma’am in high school, why did it take you guys so long?

• 4 weeks ago

I was in my 30'd the first time I was called that. It was a rough day. They think they're being polite.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.