Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 3 weeks ago

does smoking give you a deep voice?

I'm an 18 year old male and everyone always says I sound 13 and a girl yesterday told me I sound like a 14 year old girl then I searched how to get a deeper voice and all I could find was speaking from the mask what I'm doing and its made no difference then I got told smoking makes your voice deep and at this point I don't care what it will do to me as long as my voice gets deeper so I can be taken seriously

Don't **** up your lungs for that. Smoking a LOT makes your voice raspy, not really deeper, and it also gives you yellow teeth, terrible breath, clogged arteries (my uncle almost had his leg amputated because of a bad tobacco-related clot) and lung cancer. Not worth it. Try to find yourself a vocal coach.

Performing vocal exercises will make your voice deeper. Look them up on Youtube. 

Alot of heavy metal singers unintentionally achieve this by screaming, which damages the vocal cord. When they heal, their voice is deeper. Smoking is not the correct choice. I've tried it myself. Doesn't work. 

I don't think anyone will hear your voice . when its 6 feet under .

No it will not....

It will make it sound husky until they have to remove your voice box due to throat cancer and then you'll sound like a robot if you survive. Stop worrying about it and don't take up smoking.

• In

Smoking will give you a wheezing, raspy sound like you are trying to get over pneumonia, and I am sure that is not the sound you are looking for.  You are still young and your voice will get deeper over time, so just be patient.

• Bucky

Smoking gives you cancer, emphysema, and death.

No. Your voice might become "huskier", or more gravelly, but it doesn't really deepen.

Generally, the "deepness" of your voice depends on where the sound is comiing from. If you base your voice fro your chest, it will tend to be fuller/lower in pitch, while from the larynx, it tends to be higher pitched. Beyond that, it's the size of your mouth (the bigger the deeper).

How deep of a voice will you have once they remove your larynx due to cancer from smoking?

You'd do a lot better seeking the advice/council of a voice therapist or doctor, plus you wont run the risk of getting cancer.

Go talk to your doctor he/she will point you in the right direction.

• Mark

It'll screw up your breathing, and likely give you lung cancer.