r asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Agree or disagree jail and prison make a person worse not better ?

I’ll also say this prison labor is the new slave labor companies and private prisons make billions. It also may explain why the USA has the biggest prison population on earth 

Favorite Answer

I agree, but I think the point of jail isn't to 'fix' people. You get caught in a cycle once you go to jail. Jail is pretty miserable. A Iot of the pubIic only sees them as criminals and kind of dehumanizes them. Like for these people who are getting sent to jail for very wrongly buying their kids into college (because they care about their kids), do they deserve to be raped, malnourished, contract all kinds of infections, be verbally harassed, not allowed to use the bathroom alone, rarely shower, denied tampons,  etc? And for the ones who aren't rich, they can't get a job with a criminaI record. Even coming out of jail, if they don't have friends to stay with, they're homeIess. We're forcing these people to hustle. And they're eventually going to end up in jail again and the cycle repeats.

Prisons and jails are hugely harmful to society.  Their efficacy is also over rated.

i think it depends on the person since everyone is different

Prisons could easily be cleaned up.  Bug the hell out of all cells, restrooms, working areas, etc. When you find any bad goings-on, you pull them troublemakers out and beat the fckn **** out of then. 

Prison generally makes people worse. Jail usually has little effect. 

Our prison system is horrible.  The idea that people face gang rape in prison is horrific.  

WE need MASSIVE changes to our prison system.  First, we need to release anyone charged with non-violent drug crimes.  They need to be helped for addiction, not gang-raped. 

Worse. There is nothing good about prisons.

Sorry, but I'm not so much about making the criminal a "better" person than I am getting them away from society for as long as possible.

I agree that they keep law breakers away from the law abiding. That is their first priority.