Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 4 weeks ago

Why do some parents make their kids pay rent when they are still in school/college?

Some parents start making their kids pay rent during senior year of high school or freshman year of college. That’s fcked up.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Actually, Troll, it makes a great deal of sense. If the adult child has a job and is earning money, he or she should be contributing his/her fair share of household expenses, including the cost of food, utilities, insurance, and so forth. For college students who live at home instead of on campus in the dorms, this also makes sense, because it helps them prepare for the life they will lead later as adults, when they will HAVE to pay rent or a mortgage every month.

There's nothing f'**K'd up about making students pay rent, as long as the student also has a job and can afford to do so. It teaches valuable life lessons.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If they're working, earning money, they should be making some contribution to the household.  Doing so helps prepare them for the real world.

Why should their parents be fully supporting a legal adult who is earning money?

• 4 weeks ago

To teach them something about responsibility. My sons both worked part time during their senior and junior years of high school, and if they thought they were going to drive my car, they chipped in a paid part of their insurance premium every month.

This is not to say i cut them off financially, because i still ended up giving them money at times. And they were well fed, and had decent clothing and shoes, etc., because i provided for them. However, paying a bill or two didn't kill them. I also expected them to purchase any luxury items (like video games) with their own money.

My sister made the mistake of paying for everything for her son until he was 24. Even his car payment, car insurance and he still lived at home at 24. He was very irresponsible, even though he worked. He spent all his money on partying and luxury items and finally had to file bankruptcy. All this because Mommy footed the bill for so long and he thought he was entitled. When he actually had to manage his own money, he had no clue.

• Faithe
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Some of the answers you already got explain why some parents make their kids pay rent.  I'd like to argue against their answers:

In order to pay rent, a person needs to make money.  A student's workday is already harsher than that of the average adult:  he has a full day of school, then has to come home and do homework for hours.  To have any kind of life of his own he should be allowed time to be in a club or sport.  With or without that, he often has no down time at all - time to just plain relax - which everybody of every age needs.  In my opinion, a full-time student should not be working.

Now, if a full-time student IS working in order to save for or pay for college, his earnings should go toward that, not towards rent.

Once a person is completely finished with school, they should have something like a six-month grace period in order to save some money to start their life - pay for a security deposit and first month's rent for a place of their own plus have some emergency money ...Then, if they continue to live at home, if they are decent human beings they will OFFER to pay their parents rent, in order to make the parents' lives easier and to show they are responsible and caring.  If they don't take that step, the parents should ask for rent.  Parents of working young adults should not allow their children to mooch off them indefinitely or they will be teaching them to be lazy and dependent.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

I believe children have enough pressure going to school, doing homework, and doing chores. 

Let them finish high school, and go on to trade school. Why should parents ruin their children's future by weighing them down with extra responsibilities that will lower their grades while their still in high school.

Anyone that had children go through high school then went to post secondary to learn a trade, understand that it can be a battle to get through those educational years.

• 4 weeks ago

Being in college doesn't give you a free ticket to be a mooch.

• 4 weeks ago

maybe they dont want their kids taking advantage of them

• 4 weeks ago

no friend when you're 18 years old you're an adult you're old enough to have sex and make babies you're old enough to make him pay rent

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

you poor Snowflake.

• 4 weeks ago

For a lot of families, once a child turns eighteen they're an adult and need the responsibilities of an adult... which includes paying their fare share.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.