Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

My boyfriend's dream is to be a songwriter/singer but his voice sounds terrible and his songs don't make sense. Am I a bad girlfriend?

we've been together for 6 years so I feel like I can be honest with him. He asked me to listen to his songs all the time and I used to lie and say they were good but i just can't lie anymore. He is not talented and I feel like he needs to pursue another field. I love him but this might not be his best fit.

Tough one. It's okay to pretend, but if he is trying to make this a career, you might have to find someone who is more practical. Sonny Bono was a success...but he found Cher.

have you listened to the radio lately? your songs don't need to make sense to be a songwriter. and it doesn't matter if your voice is terrible. if bob dylan and rod stewart can make it, anyone can. and nowadays they electronically process your voice anyway so it makes no difference if you can't sing or how you sound.

I agree that your continued falsification isn't helpful and you should stop doing it. I'd be concerned ,also, that he doesn't make this his chosen career path  , since he'll be destined to fail in a career that is notorious for competition and lack of opportunity. Its up to him, nevertheless. Perhaps you could persuade him to consult others in the profession for an opinion other than yours.  He can always keep this path as a hobby, rather than a career....as long as you don't have to keep  listening!  All  you can do is be honest, which is overdue. The rest is up to him.  But he's losing time and the chance to make something of himself in another career,and if he continues to be a sinking ship in this regard, and you remain with him, you ,too, will be going down with the ship. Good wishes,

Maybe he needs to hear that from someone in the industry so he doesn't think its due to some personal issue between you two. This is one reason why its not good to lie (even meaning well) right from the start.