Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 3 weeks ago

I can’t quite get the sense of the word “render”, can anyone further explain this word? (Other than the explanations on dictionary)?

To answer some of you, there is no “a whole sentence”, I am learning a new word. Every meaning of it.

You are amazing, stranger on the net. Rednanreik Pilihp, your kindness made me faint.

• Zirp

It has several meanings. the one I think about first is "turn", as in:

Science is the belief in any hypothesis that hasn't been rendered implausible.

• Hi Anonymous,

quote/

"I am learning a new word. Every meaning of it."

/quote

What a happy journey you have begun!  Clearly you have a love for meaning and for communication.

I suggest you always start with the etymology of the word (search term: render +etymology), which provides the root and history of the word, and the meaning of each component of it.  

Additionally, you'll find fascinating tidbits along the way: like the connection between render and surrender, for instance!  (That itself begins to make your word come alive).

(And, as an example, how about the connection between sphincter and Sphinx; both share the same Greek root "sphingein", meaning "to squeeze, bind" (the Sphinx being a monster notorious for strangling her victims . . .). 

But there's more!  What about Winged Sphinx of Boeotian Thebes, who terrorized inhabitants by demanding the answer to a riddle: "What is it that has one voice and yet becomes four-footed, then two-footed, then three-footed?  And devoured a man each time the riddle was answered incorrectly). 

So very many delights await!

But getting back to 'render'

late 14th century: "repeat, say again,"

(from Old French: rendre "give back, present, yield")

from vulgar Latin: *rendere and from Latin: reddere "give back, return, restore,"  

[red- "back" and -dere (dare) "to give"]

Interesting history, eh?

So, the meaning is:

to "hand over, deliver" (late 14c.)

"to return" as in 'thanks' and in 'returning a verdict' (late 15c.);

"represent, depict" (1590s);

render "a payment of rent,"

And when fat is rendered ie heated to give up/extract its oil, it 'yields' its oil (see Old French above)

Now things are hotting up :-)

What about rendering of a wall, I hear you ask.  Well, this is a goodie.  You have to first look at:

rend: to tear apart or cut violently into pieces, for example, heartrending "The condition of the orphans in this city is heartrending".

(originated in the 1680s and describes something which tears your heart apart or causes you to feel great sympathy).

So what about the rendering of a wall, meaning the act of restoring (mid-15c) and the act of 'to tear apart / cut violently". The two are difficult to reconcile, no?.  

Well, my dear Anonymous, if you have ever seen a plasterer render a wall, you will understand the connection immediately!  The plasterer, if the wall is smooth, will first deeply score/scarify the surface all over with a knife, or with a "plasterers scratcher" in order to provide the right kind of surface (rough) to which his plaster mix will adhere

(Btw, score: from Old Norse skor "mark, notch, incision; cut a rift, hence "keeping the score") and (scarify: cover with scars). 

So, render is also an act of building restoration because "to render" is to cut violenty in order to create a 'key' (rough surface) for the plaster to adhere, and thereby create a new, clean, smooth, solid finish.

Render; what a wonderful word!

Now that you're inspired, how about the variant spelling of diahhroea and diahhrea? 

That little 'o' makes the world of difference!

And that's a wonderful journey too, which will take you through geometry, to crete, to the devouring of infants and where a very special child played in elysian fields, and to a glorious time when the status of women was always equal, or greater, than men.

Its so important to retain the classical spelling, rather than simplification.  For what would we do without the clues?

• Boomerful3 weeks agoReport

You've got to be an English teacher. This word is also why American English is so hard to learn; One word = eight meanings! Also, what about an artist's 'rendering'? I bet you wonder what texting shortcuts will do to language 300 - 400 yrs. from now. I sure do.

By far the best way to get the answer you need is to give us the whole sentence with the word in it. Then we can explain exactly what it means there, in that context.

EDIT to add: Learning a new word by itself is not efficient. It's far, FAR better to learn words in context. 'Render' is a particularly difficult word as it has several meanings, not all of which are in any way related.

I recommend dropping your 'word a day' regime, or at least supplementing it by READING as much and as widely as you can.

• bluebellbkk

While my daily newspaper has the occasional silly typo, it's clearly of a much higher standard than yours! I take your point, of course, but still, reading widely is always the best way to build a vocabulary of words that you know how to use in context, not just as a dry academic list.

Give us the sentence. "Render" has several meanings. 

To cause something to happen.

Example: His outburst rendered me mute.

In other words, I couldn't speak after his outburst. Get it?

• RP

It means to make or deliver.

force something to happen indirectly because of another action.  render the fat (clarify the fat) by low heating, say (the fat separates on its own from impurities in the original mix because you have caused the fat to melt).  Render an argument moot by introducing something else that makes the argument lose any value it might have once had. 

• geezer

RENDER has several different meanings.

It can be to ''make something what it is'' .. ie .. you can render someone unconcious by knocking them out.

It can be to ''give or provide'' .. ie .. you can pay someone for services rendered.

It can be the plaster/cement layer that you put on a surface to finish it off and make it smooth.

It can mean to break down and separate off the fat in food.

It has multiple meanings; it can mean transfer, pay or do something for something, or it can mean something like "complete" or "make real".

eg. Applying a cement coating over brickwork is called rendering.

In computer graphics, the process of converting a wire frame or crude segmented image to photorealistic is also called rendering.

Those two have an obvious parallel, applying a visual surface over a rougher base.

(Possibly the service or payment side can be also seen as finishing something, from the point of view of the person receiving the service or payment?? Making their thing or work complete?)

• mokrie

Without looking at the dictionary, I would say to render is to give to or to give up something. You render your rent money to the landlord. It can also mean to break down as in rendering a food product. That's my view of the word usage.