Is moving one of the most stressful things? Suppose you don't like your new neighbors or their barking dog, the heating system,  etc.?

Moving is so expensive today, it's not like you can easily sell a new home you don't like. There's attorney fees, closing costs, moving items costs, exit taxes to some cities when moving, etc.

For example, a family member bought a condo without knowing the noisy air conditioning unit was outside, near his bedroom window, and he says he would have never purchased the condo if he realized it. Additionally, cigarette smoke from the adjoining condo is getting into his, and he's allergic to it. 

He says he would like to move, but can't afford it now. Would you agree there are some pitfalls about moving you can avoid, but others you just can't and it boils down to luck whether or not you are happy in your new home?

Interesting question.   Overall, there can be curve balls, but a lot of this can be researched ahead of time, especially with condos. Did your friend talk to other owners in units near his to get an idea what they say?  Also, how did he not know the AC unit was right by his condo?   These aren't easy to miss!  Same with smoking. If he's that sensitive to it, didn't he smell it when he was inspecting the condo? 

I'm not dissing him, just pointing out that a lot of this involves thinking through what bothers you and making sure there won't be issues.   Another point is that when someone buys a condo, they need to see a copy of the HOA bylaws.   I've known people who forgot to do this, and some HOA's are like Nazis on power trips.   It's also important to know how much of the complex is owner occupied.   Ideally, you want a complex where almost all units are.   If half are being rented, this is a big red flag. And all of this is stuff that a good google search would have reminded him to do. 

I wouldn't buy a condo since the issues you stated above will happen. Instead I bought a house.. talked to a few neighbors before I made the offer.

Yes.  Selling real estate is expensive and stressful.

Is it one of "the most" stressful things?    Not really in the scope of what one could encounter in life. 

Yes, moving is stressful, and most people commit to a property having only visited a few times.

Basically - research to avoid pitfalls wherever possible. And accept that you can choose a property, but not your neighbours.

• Mog

Yes, I’d say it is.