Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

What is actually supposed to go in a sanitary napkin bin ?

I work in retail and when I am required to close one of us has to clean the bathrooms. Whenever I get to the handicap stall in the women’s room (the baby changing table is in this stall) I always find massive diapers stuffed into the sanitary napkin bin. Are they supposed to put them in there? They obviously don’t fit in the tiny brown bags so it just smashes everything down and I end up having to pull everything out one by one instead of in one go with just the bag. This honestly disgusts me because even though I am wearing gloves, period products are always much cleaner and more pleasant to move to the garbage than a soiled diaper. To my understanding that bin is 

just for pads and tampons so women don’t end up flushing them. It’s not like we don’t have a garbage can 5 steps away from the stall, so I really do not understand why they would put it in there. Maybe I am looking at it wrong, but are mothers 

told to put diapers in the sanitary napkin bin, or do they just assume that on their own. 

• Edna

Who cares??  Diapers and pads don't necessarily have to go into separate  trash bins - it's all trash, and anything can go into a trash bin in a public rest room. 

You don't have to pick anything out by hand or look at it.  Just pick up the trash bin and dump everything in it into a plastic garbage bag. 

• D_21

Diapers are not supposed to go in the bin, but when you are juggling personal belongings, shopping items, and a small human...and all you wanna do is get the f**k out of there...guess what? You shove that diaper where ever is handiest. The bin is a trash can. You can put anything you want in there.

I know cleaning bathrooms in an entry level job sucks. I used to do it. I've also cared for children, and made many potty training & diaper changing stops in public restrooms. Neither job is easy. At least you're getting paid to do yours. All you have to do is throw the diaper away, you didn't have to change it. You're not wiping any cracks that aren't yours. Some day it might be you with the baby.

Don't wind yourself up about something you can't change and don't actually need to be mad about. Life is short. Take it as an opportunity to develop some character, grow in maturity, and grow your compassion for others. People aren't going to stop shoving diapers in places they don't go. They even leave them in fitting rooms on the benches. Can't really police that. We can control how we choose to feel about it. We don't have to love it. Just deal with it. Get it over with. Move on.

Yes you are right, just sanitary products, not daipers. Maybe you need a sign?

• audrey

Same thing where I work. We used to have a small trash can in there for diapers but someone took it to the stock room to use for something else. You could try asking your boss for another trash can, but since he isn't the one having to handle crappy diapers it probably won't help.

Sanitary towels and tampons, in the bags that should be provided. That's all, but women are even more disgusting than men when it gets down to it.

• Ramona

If a stall has a baby changing table, there should be a trash can in there. There have been times when there was nowhere for me to put the diaper so I'd put it in the period bin. I'd use the trash can if there was one.