What is with the gap at the bottom of the cream cheese?

I have noticed this whenever I am eating cream cheese and I think that you will too! Smooth sailing from the top of things, but when you dig down? A gap about the width of my pinky between the cheese and the base of the container. Even I have seen this thing in many different containers, including a variety of flavours and brands. Why???

10 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I've not seen this, maybe it was stored upside down at the market? then the cheese has shifted!

• 4 weeks ago

I don't know, maybe it's just an air pocket? I buy the blocks of cream cheese so i never saw those gaps

• 4 weeks ago

Its from the air that is trapped when the cheese is dispensed into the container.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It's just a sign that the cheese is aging, because refrigerators will dry out any container that's opened.  It doesn't mean it's gone bad, but the gap will continue to widen and the cheese will get a bit drier the longer you keep it.  Here in the US, our cream cheese comes in a brick shape wrapped in heavy tin foil. Same thing happens. The older it is, the more it pulls back from the foil.  Still yummy, tho!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The cheese is put into the container by a machine that either squirts it in or dumps a weighed lump of cheese into the container. Sometimes air is trapped and can't escape. The "dump a lump" method is more likely to trap air. So there is a gap.

• 4 weeks ago

Rihanna released her single last year

• 4 weeks ago

So try this experiment: stuff peanut butter into a one cup measuring cup. See how air bubbles get trapped in the bottom, because the peanut butter is so thick that the air can't get by it. The same happens when manufacturers fill cream cheese and other product containers. The amount you get is based on the weight of the product in the container, not the size of the container.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's so the container looks full when you open it. Check the ounces on the label. Coffee used to be sold by the pound, now it's 12 or 11.5 ounces.

• Ramona
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

it's an air bubble. A tube fills the cream cheese tub not an actual person so it doesn't get filled right. I used to get strawberry cream cheese but the air bubble was always so huge that I feel like I was getting ripped off. The amount of cream cheese missing, I could have used on 3 or 4 bagels. So frustrating!

• 4 weeks ago

That is result of cream cheese.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.