Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

Can a DOCTORS office do this?!?

So I had an appointment in July at my doctors and apparently I "never rescheduled" but I called them THAT MORNING and had to leave a voicemail that I had NO WAY to get there for my appointment..I get they have a 24 hour notice or its a $50 fee, but it's a bit ridiculous when Im on low income medical insurance as it is and then on top of everything they want $50 that I really don't have right now..can i fight this somehow??

You apparently did not make arrangements several days in advance to get to the appointment as you should have. That's their policy! If you refuse to pay it they will probably not take legal action, they will just not see you any more.

• Judith

Sorry but I don't see that it is ridiculous that you, like everyone else, must pay a $50 fee.  Not their fault that you are on low income.  How can you fight it?  I don't see that you can although you can always ask nicely if they would consider waiving the fee or lowering it.  If not, either make arrangements to pay $10 a month or start looking for another doctor because doctor's offices can refuse to treat patients who don't pay them.

Just because you are on a low income doesn't mean that the rules don't apply to you.

No, you cannot. really fight it.

You can fight, but you won't win. It doesn't matter that you had no way to get there. You're responsible for the missed appointment and the $50 fee.

• Linda

No. You signed a paper stating that you would give 24 hour notice before canceling and it was your responsiblity to remember when your appt was. So you'll have to pay it or it will go to collections.

Yes, they can. When you cancel late or don't show up, the practice loses income because that time slot goes unfilled. Chances are that you signed an agreement to pay this sort of fee under this sort of circumstance.

You can call and ask for an exception to be made. If you're a good patient otherwise, they might be willing to accommodate you.I also recommend that you make any late cancellations by actually speaking to someone in the office. Go ahead and leave your voicemail, but call back the minute they open. They may not have time to check messages first thing in the morning. Messages are for questions and issues that are not time sensitive.

• Lili

Yes, of course they can do it.  They have a rule; you broke it.  Therefore, you owe the cancellation fee.  It's that simple.

You can ask nicely if they will waive it one time for you, but they lost out on being able to fill your spot with another person who needed to be seen, so you may not win.

Yes they can do this if you cancelled on the day of your appointment