Should you get paid for helping plan an event?

I helped my sister plan a huge fashion show. I did NOT help her with the intention of getting paid. I really didn't know what I was getting my self into, I was just trying to help. 3 weeks prior to the show Id talk to her 3-4 times a week for 2 hours planning the show. 3 days before the show I spent the night at her home to assist with anything that she needed help with. My kids also helped her too. On the day of the event she was doing things that should have been done weeks prior and she had me running all around to get everything finalized. She didn't have any one else helping her on the day of so I was the coordinator, decorator, and pretty much the go to person for everyone. It seemed like a job for about 6ppl. Everyone was pulling me here and there and is was super overwhelming. My sister finally called me 2 days later and said a simple "Thank you", I explained to her all the work If put in and how overly tired that I was. She laughed! One of her friends noticed all the work I was doing and said your sister needs to pay you, because you have worked your *** off! She laughed at that too!.. Then before we got off the phone it was pure silence, I told her I had to get back to work since it appeared she had nothing else to say. I feel that she needs to pay me and my kids something because we did a lot to ensure her event was perfect. I shouldn't have to asked her about it she should atleast offer... Your thoughts??

Again, I had no intention of getting paid inentionally.. Its my sister for crying outloud. But in the end it was alot of work! I worked 12 hours on the day of. Or maybe even lunch would be a nice gesture. I really wanted to make her event epic! And really worked hard the days leading to the event. 

She even agreed that she should have hired a staff

• Eva

If it was a charity event and she was not paid to do it, let it go. If it was for her business and/or she was getting paid to do it, you should be paid. In the future, should she ask you again, make sure that you are each clear on the responsibilities and what you are to receive.

• Kaylen4 weeks agoReport

She even agreed that she should have hired staff

Demanding or even asking to be paid now would be inappropriate, because you agreed to do it free. From a legal standpoint, there is nothing you can do because there was no agreement for you to be paid.

No. That’s being hired to help. She didn’t hire you. 

What you can do is turn her down the next time she asks for your help. 

Tell her you’re busy or whatever.

Get paid in advance if you don’t want to help her for free.

• Dave

If you went in expecting not to get paid, you should also finish with no expectation of getting paid. Thinking you deserve money when you don't makes you a loser.