Would blended (in a blender) tomatoes become spaghetti sauce?

• denise

Yes, but I would peel the tomatoes first, then add seasoning. Pour through a strainer if you want it smooth [seedless].

• IvaB

Tomatoes are just tomatoes,blended or otherwise.It is not spaghetti sauce.Short answer is NO.

• Glo

Crushed tomatoes.  You can then simmer with spices and herbs to make a sauce. 

if you added seasoning and herbs, yes.

• ?

Technically anything is spaghetti sauce if you puree it and put it on spaghetti. Traditional italian pasta sauces dont just contain tomato, though.

No. The tomatoes have to be cooked with special spices added then simmered to thicken the sauce.

Yes, they would. But they tend to be watery because they have so much juice in them.  They're better if you remove the seeds first, or if you drop the tomatoes into boiling water a minute to soften the skins, then blend them, then run them through a colander or sieve to remove the seeds and skins.  The best spices to season them with are basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme.  And onion powder, and a little garlic powder if you wish.  You just need to sprinkle a small amount in, let it simmer for a minute, then taste it to see if you want more seasoning.  You might also add salt, but it's better to add that at the table, when you eat it over spaghetti or other pasta or vegetables.  It's easy to add spices but hard to remove them if you added too much.  The best chefs make their own tomatoes out of fresh ones.  But to get it thick enough, you have to cook it over a low heat to evaporate the water so it gets thick.  Many chefs do this in a skillet so it evaporates faster.

• Darren4 weeks agoReport

Thanks! I think I'll go to the store instead though. I don't cook very often (on or in the oven)

They'd become tomato juice. 

You should cook the tomatoes first.

I just made spaghetti today lol but it’ll probably be more like ketchup, you gotta throw some herbs and spices in them tomatoes to make it spaghetti sauce!