Can a doctor legally not clear me for work?

I was working as a cook in a restaurant and got injured outside of work with a torn acl.. don't want to do surgey as I have been able to function properly without it such as lifting weights, running and etc. I tried to go back to my job but can't work unless cleared by a doctor but can the doctor legally not clear me even though I feel fine without surgery 

Because they gave you time off because on an injury they could possibly have some liability for you working unless they have clearance from a doctor. Call your doctors office, explain your situation, and ask if they will sign you off.

OPTION

Yes but you are entitled to the assessment of another doctor.

You are not beholden to one doctor's diagnosis.

Yes, a Doctor who doesn't feel you can work can say exactly that.

i would hope not but maybe you should see another doctor if this one dont want to clear you

• Frank

If you go back to work...and you are NOT properly able to stop from being INJURED again and permanently disabled...that is why no RATIONAL employer would allow you to work there without a doctor's say so. You could have an ISSUE and SUE THE CRAP out of the place.

So...find a new doctor and see if they will certify you to work. Otherwise...you will have to have the surgery to correct. I don't know why you wouldn't have the surgery...it is very common and usually highly successful at the repair. I know people who play sports and have had them BOTH KNEES DONE.

Just do the surgery...