breast cancer scare, help ?

Hey guys! When i was 16 my gyno found a small lump in my left breast, it’s perfectly round (to my acknowledgment), hard, not painful, and does not move, it also doesn’t seem to have grown. she scheduled me for an ultrasound and the doctor said it looked like a cyst but to get a mammogram, i was too scared and just ignored him and clinched on to his words about it looking like a cyst. i am now 20 years old and have finally came out to my doctor about my lump and i am being scheduled for a mammogram (and am going) and i am TERRIFIED. does anyone have any advice or know what this could possibly be? if it is cancer, since i have waited so long is it going to be too late for me to save myself? i know no one here is a doctor but i’m just looking for a piece of mind or preparation.

• Pippin

Completely baffled by the whole scenario. Why did the first doctor recommend a mammogram? And then fail to even follow-up. A needle biopsy could have been done in the spot, and proved that it was a cyst.

If it hasn't changed in 4 years, it's not cancer and I still don't get why they want a mammogram. Cysts and random bumps are common in young women and are almost never cancer. Doctors do not usually clog up the imaging centers with teenagers worried about normal breasts.

• Edna

You've had this small "lump" on your breast since you were 16. You're 20 now, and that's been 4 years that it's been there.   Don't you realize that that, if it had been a cancerous "lump" at 16 and you had never been treated for cancer, it would have spread so much to other organs that you would probably be dead by now? 

You've had the lump in your breast for 4 years. The lump isn't painful and it hasn't grown. Your doctor was right; it's probably just a small cyst in your breast. Have a mammogram and put your mind at rest.

• LAN

Why do idiots keep posting the same kind of "pity me" crap over and over?   Post your questions about your childish need for attention and hypochondria in the mental health section.   Pity it isn't cancer as you would no longer be able to post this kind of idiocy over and over.

• LAN

I only attack obvious liars like you

How bizzare that a doctor would recommend a mammogram for someone so young.

They are rarely useful for women under 40 and women under 30 should have breast tossue that is too dense for a mammogram to serve any purpose.

An ultrasound (sonagram) is a far more useful diagnostic tool for younger women and for where a lump is located.

The risk of this being breast cancer, in a girl aged 16 -20, is 1 in 1,300,000.

There are lots of common, harmless causes of breast lumps in teenagers.

Breast cancer (any cancer) grows when left untreated.

Mine was doubling in size every month. I cannot imagine how big it would get in 4 years!!!

The average age at diagnosis is 62 and 80% of people diagnosed are over age 50.

I was classed as a "younger woman" when diagnosed at age 46 with a strong family history (sister, mother, 2 aunts, granfather, all had breast cancer) and genetically tested and found to carry a faulty BRCA gene.

• LAN

Especially with that obvious a lump that he didn't order a biopsy instead of a mammogram.  

I had a lump aged 16, turned out to be a fibrous adenoma, the most common cause.

• Andy C

It's a test that could save your life.

You should be thrilled, but they do have to pancake your boobs.

Testing positive for cancer is not what creates the cancer.

Cancer ignored is usually deadly.

Instead of worrying yourself half to death about something that's vague and unknown, go have the test.

i wouldnt worry about it,if it was cancer you wouldve been dead by now

Get the mammogram and any other diagnostic tests that are recommended. If the lump is not a lot bigger now, most likely it is a benign cyst. (Tumors tend

to double in size every 30 days or so.)Even if not, and even with the delay, won’t you eventually feel better just knowing what this is? FWIW, I have been treated twice for breast cancer (I too had a benign lump in my late teens, over 40 years ago), and am more than 20 years out from the first cancer diagnosis and completely healthy.

Oh, my god, are you serious? you're 40 years too young for breast cancer! your goods are still growing.

zero chance it's cancer. you're overreacting

• Pippin

More like 20 years too young ... but still.