Timothy asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

Chesapeake Bay Retriever? Can you give me information about these dogs as I am wanting to get a male puppy, about 8 months old soon.?

What are the characteristics, needs, pros/cons, joys of a male Chesapeake Bay Retriever?

Can they become an ideal service dog for an individual with Chron's disease?

Is a 0.3 acre backyard ample space for one?

Please give me as much information you know about this breed.

I am really serious about the health and happiness of a puppy I would get. I want to learn everything I can about this dog breed before I get one. I want to be as responsible and dominant at the same time with the dog as possible. 

You clearly are not serious about the poor dogs health since they are WORKING breeds and make for very, very poor service dogs. 

And Chrones is not a disability so there's no way any one who has it can have a service dog since all it is inflammatory bowel disease 

• No, they are a breed used. I however agree, I dot know what a dog can do for Crohns

They are used by some. However, I cant see how a service dog could help chrons

The best way to get familiar with this breed is to do lots of research on it. Know the breed inside & out. Read everything you can find on the breed. Lots of information online, there are hundreds of books on dogs & their training. Books specific to each breed, There is no way I can give you all the information on the sites I found. Just no way.

I have never seen one except in pictures.

I am not going to research it for you.

Crohn's disease is an inflamitory bowel disease...  It does not qualify you for a service dog.  The disease does not prevent you from functioning independently.   There's nothing a dog could do for you.

I would imagine a chessie would be very similar to a lab or a golden, since they were bred for similar purposes.

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/chesapeake-bay-retr...

There are other websites.    But why not locate a reputable knowledgeable breeder, via the relevant Breed Club and talk to them.   This isn't a very 'common' breed however so you may find breeder/owners few and far between.  

I'd suggest that 8 months could be a difficult age with the onset of puberty.  Plus what has been going on with the youngster up to now?