Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 month ago

Do I need a tetanus shot immediately?

I am doing yard work and keep getting poked with thorns which are causing my hands to swell. I also get muscle spasms in my abs all the time. So does this mean I need to get a tetanus shot?

• JetDoc

Have you had one in the past 10 years? If not, it's probably a good idea to get one.

in general, if you haven't had a tetanus shot in 10 years then you should probaby get one especially if you have an open wound. i am NOT a doctor. could be you're not getting enough water or electrolytes, or could be serious, idk. also, gloves are usually cheaper than a doctor visit.

No.  Your thorns don't carry tetanus. You either are allergic to the plants or you just need to wear gloves. Feel free to see your GP if you are concerned.

You don't need a vaccine unless you haven't had one in 10 years.  The vaccine won't cure a case of tetanus -- it is designed to prevent infection prior to exposure.