Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Renter Issue?

I am trying to purchase a home (using VA loan) with a mortgage payment way less than my current rent, but I asked about cutting my apartment lease early. I was told I would have to pay almost $2000-$4000 in fees. I’m not able to pay that at all within their 60 day notice. Is there any legal way around this for those who can’t afford their fees an have to end up staying paying for rent they can’t afford anymore? As well I’d like to note my husband renewed the lease in February but the apartment office assistant manager pointed out it was signed April. Can we dispute this too and will it have an effect on the current situation? 

While yes you signed the lease.. and they have the right.... I would tell you these seldom hold up in court and they seldom pay the cost to pursue it. 

if need be sue them in small claims court 

But you need to grasp the reality of life 1st

you created you own problem no one else. 

your payment is less than rent but a payment is about half the cost of the home ownership and you will not be saving money,, but have more work and more cost. Buying is good with a good plan,,, seems you did not plan well.

and most important the reason you are wanting out of the lease... because you Choose of freewill to buy a home is not legal reason and not a good story to tell 

good luck I do think you will make a deal with them offer one money rent to close the lease 

but my guess they will not take you to court.  worst case they blemish you as renter and you cannot rent again without paying extra.../ since your buying a home you will not need that

• No clue what that means

What in the hell does this mean?

"Unfortunately you are probably bound by the lease, but it sounds like they're also trying to use this as an excuse to screw you over. It sounds like they're bitter that you are moving and trying to jack up the price. I'm sorry you're having to deal with these kinds of people, and hopefully, you can get some relief. "

"unfortunately"  "these kinds of people,"?

By asking someone to abide by a legally binding contract and apply a standard for breaking a lease early?

REALITY CHECK you, the op, just are not financially ready to be buying a home right now.  Just one for instance what will you do with no emergency funds saved and will likely not be able to save an emergency fund, if a MAJOR or even minor in your case comes along?  Going in you will be but 1 step away from losing the house.

• And the whole "I can do whatever I want because you're legally bound" is one reason people are wantibg socialism. I don't, but it does seem people are becoming greedier and greedier under the guise of Capitalism. I'm a capitalist but I can also see why people are frustrated

Unfortunately you are probably bound by the lease, but it sounds like they're also trying to use this as an excuse to screw you over. It sounds like they're bitter that you are moving and trying to jack up the price. I'm sorry you're having to deal with these kinds of people, and hopefully, you can get some relief.

No, there's no way around this. The legal document is legally binding, and they're not required to let you out early without penalty.

Talk to a real estate lawyer 

Find someone to assume your lease

• Judy

If you have a valid lease, with no lower payment in the lease for breaking it, you're stuck with it. You say the lease was renewed in February - what is the end date on the written, signed lease? That's the end date and no you can't dispute it.

• Nuff Sed

If the agreement was for February and the document says April, that can be refuted as a "scrivenor's error", as a false representation of the actual agreement.

No and no. Fees to break a lease are standard, and the norm is two months of rent. So if the renewal took effect beginning April of this year, you owe for December thru March times your monthly rent. You didn't say how much the monthly rent is so I'm guessing the fee is two months. You would be paying that anyway if you stayed, so paying it now allows you out maybe as early as December 1st.

If you can't afford the buyout fee and you can't afford the rent, then you can't afford to buy a house. VA is no down payment but you still need closing costs and one year upfront cash for property taxes and hazard insurance. If you stop paying the rent and get evicted, that will damage your credit and could impact buying a house.

• Amy

You are responsible for the rent for whatever duration is written in the lease that you signed.

The landlord charges a few months' rent for breaking the lease in order to cover the time it will take to find another tenant. You may be able to reduce that fee by doing that work for them. See whether you can sublet the apartment for the remainder of your lease, or find someone to directly take over the lease from you.

For the same reason, they send out renewal notices a couple months before the end of your lease, so that they have time to find a new tenant if you decide not to renew. Signing in February for a lease that starts April 1 is normal. Presumably you originally moved in in April.