Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 3 weeks ago

How does one pick a career on their own?

I asked my family. They said job-stability 

comes first, then salary and then 

job-satisfaction comes last. Is that true? 

Bonus question: Is it true 95% 

of Americans hate their jobs?!? 

• xyzzy

It depends on what you want from life. If it is happiness or satisfaction then job satisfaction is most important. If money is the most important thing to you then salary or income comes in first. If you worry a lot about the future than go for job stability. The trick is to fine the right balance between the three. Most American don't hate their jobs nor do they love them. Jobs are just something they do.

• Dick

Job security and pay are quite important. No matter how much you like your job, and no matter how much fun it is, if you can't depend on it being there, and paying your expenses, it has absolutely no value.

If you do your job as well as it can be done, and do it to the absolute best of your ability, then you can always be proud of your job. Even if it's cleaning toilets.

You hate your job, when you don't do it well.

• steve

I would put it in this order:

1. Job satisfaction.

2. Job stability.

3. Salary.

I have been paid lots of money for jobs I hated and left.

I have also done brilliant jobs in social care where I didn't earn as much but couldn't wait to go to  work every day and make a difference to someones life.

If I start a job I need to know initially it is intended to be long term and not a temporary position.

Salary is the last of my considerations. As long as I have enough to live on that is just fine.

NO I DO NOT AGREE...HAPPINESS COUNTS...FOLLOW YOUR HEART...SOME WISH TO RUN COMPANIES...SOME WISH TO BE DENTISTS OR DOCTORS...OR SOME ARE GOOD WITH MONEY AND GET INTO FINANCIAL STUFF...

• steve

Do you know there is a caps lock on your keyboard. If you switch it off people might pay attention to what you have to say.

I have worked jobs that I hated, but most of the ones I liked did not pay enough. I worked one job for 17 years that I hated some parts, but sometimes I was sitting in an office.

• martin

It's true that no one is going to pay you just to have fun. Work is the hard part of what you do, and the part that earns the money.

• EddieJ

If you have no money, then just being able to get a paying job is the most important thing.

If the job pays almost nothing, then job-stability isn't very important. You'll probably be looking for a higher paying job -- unless you know that your skills just aren't worth anything.

You need money to live so you only need to be able to tolerate the job -- but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to find a job where you will be happier.

If your parents are rich, you have luxury to choose career that like you even though you may not make enough money. Otherwise, you will have to choose stability and salary over job satisfaction.

What do you like to do?  Maybe what you like will check a lot of those boxes.

• Pray to the Lord and He shall provide the answer you SEEK