Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 3 weeks ago

What is it with people and punishment?.?

Now I know this is one of those questions that has probably been questioned and answered many times and one of those things people are always wondering but why do people like punishment. 

So before I begin I’m not necessarily trying to find an answer for why punishment exists in general but why punishment exist from a human perspective in a way so the main question is “why do people want to punish others because being physically violent puts you in the wrong” so why do people like punishment. 

Say for example one day you went to school and you had homework but the thing is you hadn't done it, you enter classroom and the teacher asks you for your homework and you reply with “I don’t have my homework” then the teacher replies with “why haven’t you done your homework” and the thing I always find is why the teacher wants to know why you haven’t done your homework because in some way when it comes to teachers the word “why” = punishment because if you think about the teacher isn’t asking why because they’re curious it’s actually because all they have on mind is punishing you because I suppose you could say that when it comes to not doing homework all teachers want to do is torture students.

Now I know that may seem a bit over-exaggerated and no offence to anyone who reads this who is a teacher or former teacher but me saying “all teachers want to do is torture students” is from some aspect true if you know what I mean. 

Thank you if anyone does answer. 

Most teachers have no desire to torture students. If they ask you why you didn't do your homework, it isn't out of idle curiosity, but it also shouldn't be in front of the class to embarrass you. If a student has a difficult home or personal situation [such as homelessness or autism], a good teacher will work with that to adjust the requirements to something more reasonable, such as extra-credit assignments during vacation, or a different type of homework. If the student is doing well in the class, obviously he doesn't need as much practice as one who is struggling. And if a student is just plain lazy or egocentric, punishment is not going to change his loser mentality. Of the above  categories, which one do you fit into?

Has it occurred to you that the purpose of the question is not to torture you, but

to confront you and hopefully make you feel guilty about not getting it done.

Then hopefully, this will make you think to yourself, "Maybe I should get it done

the next time, so that I don't piss off the teacher"

So the purpose of it is to change the outcome; to facilitate the completion of the

homework the next time.

• rmm

The "why" is to find out what, if any, punishment is deserved. Your answer will change her reaction.

Because I didn't want to do it = sorry, you get a 0 on your assignment.

Because I was sick all last night = OK - glad your feeling better, get it done tonight.

Because I had to work since my dad lost his job and we can't afford to buy food = all kinds of different help being offered.

When I was in college the only thing that was on my mind was studying, and this includes doing homework.

If you want to be, so damn lazy then go home, and stay home. Drop out of school, and see where that gets you.

A teacher punishing you is a consequence, for not doing your homework. In the real world there are consequences, for what we do, and don't do.

That statement only works for the snowflake generation living in First World luxury on the back of the millions of poor people in the rest of the world.

For virtually all of recorded human history, and forever in the Animal Kingdom, being physically violent for the right reason, does not put you in the wrong. It confers survival advantages to both the individual (especially where corrected) and also to the group.

maybe theyre trying to tell you you need to do your homework

• martin

The logical reason to punish someone is so that other people won't be in danger of having that person do something harmful. It's to protect society.

• Mercy

Better out in the Philosophy category , but.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E2%80%9Cwhy+do+pe...

• Linda

I don't understand. When you go to school, it is expected that you will have homework just like if you have a job you will be expected to do the tasks assigned to you. Punishment does not have to be violent. Haven't you heard the saying let the punishment fit the crime? If a person commits murder or rape, the punishment might be prison. If a student does not do his homework the punishment might be a lower grade. There has to be punishment when people do not follow rules or disobey or the world would be a horrible place to live. And with that being said, go do your homework now!

• Nancy

In Psychology, "punishment" is the introduction or removal of stimuli in order to reduce or eliminate the frequency of a behavior. What's with "punishment" is behavior modification. Some people have a responsibility to modify others' undesirable or adverse behavior, particularly when it adversely affects the behaver themselves, others in their environment, or society, such people include parents, teachers, bosses, police, etc.