WildCat asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

I'm at a friends house and another visitor comes. When they come in, should I stand to greet them and extend my hand? Or do I remain seated?

remain seated with your feet on the coffee table

• Dv8s

That's up to the host, to introduce you, if they fail to do so, then you may introduce yourself. You don't have to be so formal, at a friends house, a hello, and my name is, is fine, without the standing and handshake.

• LM440

If you already know this person rise and greet.  If you do not have a relationship with this person allow the host to perform the introductions.  Then make the greeting personal.

You always stand to meet new people and extend your hand. I'm so sorry your parents did not teach you better.

i dont see anything wrong with greeting them

Standing up or not standing up is less important than showing you NOTICED them.

If it's an older person, I usually stand up, but don't hold out my hand unless or until I'm actually introduced.But if it's a younger person, I look at them and smile, and get ready to stand up if it seems necessary.

The main thing is not to ignore them.

Ultimately, what is comfortable for you. There is no one golden rule to follow.

Hmmm... good question

It doesnt look bad if you just remain seated. Bc you dont really know them nor you didnt wait for them to come in.

And if you stand and greeting them. That is not a bad idea either.

Just flow with your mind.

Proper manners would dictate standing and shaking hands especially if one of the new arrivals is female.

That'd. B up to you.......