Who should gets more money?

For the past few days I've been working on on my 2020 benefits on my job.  I selected all my medical, dental, and vision options but when I got to the life insurance section I had to select a beneficiary.  I'm married with one biological daughter, not by my wife.  My wife has 2 sons from her first marriage.  All the kids are grown and out of the house but I plan to split my insurance 60/40 in favor of my daughter.  My wife will be a beneficiary but she'll be getting the 40%.  I haven't mentioned that to my wife but some have told me that it should split it 50/50 between the two.  How will my wife feel when or if she finds out I left my daughter a bigger portion of the money instead of her?  She's said that I have always favored my daughter and she's right.  I've had my daughter all her life.  My wife and I have only known each other for about 16 years.  No, I'm not leaving her sons anything.  I'm sure she's leaving her sons more on her job and probably isn't leaving my daughter anything.  Am I wrong to split it this way?  I just want to make sure my daughter has something to fall back on in the case something happens to me.

There might be a lot of fighting over the money and tearing everyone apart.  A very problematic issue.  I say the daughter and mother 60/40.

Here's the deal with employer life insurance...it's almost never enough to really do much good. So most people will add a supplemental policy so they're truly covered. Maybe sign the work related policy to one then get an outside policy for the same amount and name the other as the beneficiary of that.

its all totally uip to you

• Ocimom

IMO if all the kids are grown and out of the house, your wife should be sole beneficiary.   Why not discuss it with your wife and see how she plans on handling her life insurance.  

Why are asking so many people about this and why do you feel you have to justify your decision?   This is 100 percent your call and there's no "right/wrong" that applies.   Some would leave all of it to their daughter and some would leave all to their spouse.  Some break it up.  If your plan sounds reasonable and fair to YOU, this is all that matters. 

Set it up any way you want and keep it to yourself.

• n2mama

Surely this is the first time the issue of division of assets has come up? Don’t you have a will that divides your estate between your wife and daughter? Haven’t you had life insurance before? 

It doesn’t matter if Snowed is angry about it, for it to be an issue, you’ll be dead so won’t have to deal with the fallout. And you don’t have to tell her now. The only reason to do so would be to start some drama unnecessarily. And I don’t blame you for not leaving her sons anything, you have no obligation to do so, nor a relationship with them to want to.

You’re daughter should get the most. She is after all your own vestige and true part of you. She will also need more help and support in her life. You’re not being selfish, you’re being smart. And you’re not forgetting your wife. You’re just ensuring all you can do for your daughter.

I wouldn’t explain it to your wife. It’s not about her. You gave her a new life or at least 16 years, and more to come. You are also helping her now. But when you move on out of this life, you want to make sure your daughter is taken care of. Don’t feel bad about that. I would probably have given her more.

• PAMELA

You can split it anyway you like, what do you care what your wife feels about it, you won't be there will you?

• Tj

Do what you feel is correct. Heck, you will be gone, cannot fight with you then.