Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

If a friend cancelled a meet up 4 times due to a migraine (via text) would you reschedule? And keep doing so?

How would you feel about the constant cancelling

You also get migraines

I also get migraines

I get them too but four times? I'd say, hey, when are you available and put the ball in their court. If they didn't reschedule in about a week or two or call up and explain or "something", I'd cut them off and assume they didn't want my company.

I would be quite suspicious about your friend having a migraine the past FOUR times you’ve tried to catch up. I’ve had severe migraines in the past, so I fully understand the debilitating pain caused by them. So yes, once or twice, I see why they would need to cancel your plans, but four times? That doesn’t sound right. They either have a serious medical condition (that needs urgent medication if it’s causing that many migraines), OR your friend is just lazy and is using that as an excuse to cancel on you.I would lay low and leave it completely up to them to organise the next meeting. You’ve tried four times and they’ve canceled every time. Part of me finds that very rude. Leave them be, and give them space. Make it THEIR responsibility now to initiate the next plan.

Empathize with the friend and ask them to reach out when they are feeling strong enough to catch up.

i would just tell her to let you know when she can go

I would stop trying to schedule meetings. I would say, 'Jasmine, you're obviously having a really hard time just now. Get in touch when you're feeling better'.

So it's up to her after that.

That depends on the answer to a couple of questions:

1.  Do I believe that my friends was actually incapacitated by a migraine or do I think they were just blowing me off?

2.  How important is this friendship to me?

If anyone has ever had genuine migraines, they will KNOW it would be impossible to meet up for a social purpose during a severe migraine attack. Anyone who thinks it is possible does not know real migraines.

I would question the likelihood of having to cancel 4 times for this reason. If the person has that many migraines, they should be on medication to help reduce their likelihood and should have immediate access to specialist prescription-only migraine medications to prevent or shorten an attack when they get the warning signs.

Depending what country you are in, the cost of medications may stop them having the drugs they need but my view is that a real migraine sufferer would be willing to do whatever they could to find the money for the specialist medications.

• keerok

If you really care, show up at his/her house unannounced to check. Bring some fruits or a freshly baked pie.

I'm getting mixed feelings though. Four times and always a migraine? You're losing that friend I guess, for one reason or another. It's just that you're surely itching to get to the bottom of it.

• Vicki

Some people can't function through migraines. I would be patient but stop trying to make plans. I would let them make plans.