Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 weeks ago

If atheism is asserted without evidence, can it be dismissed without evidence?

Yes. This is a quote from atheist Christopher Hitchens. I guess having asserted atheism all his life without evidence he realised everything he had preached and written could be dismissed and said this in disillusionment.

Source(s): Christopher Hitchens

yes it definitely is dismissed 

No. Reality and truth are about what is actually real -- not about how well or poorly an opinion is explained.

• Caesar

Theism and atheism are not religions or any assertive position about any of the thousand deities made by theists... just  believes or unbelief in the existence of a god or gods.

So if you can also ask....  If theism is asserted without evidence, can it be dismissed without evidence? Will you need to hide under anonymous for that?

The "a" in front of "theism" indicates it's "not" an assertion. It's the dismissal of an assertion from theists.

• SBR32277

@Jim V, looking it up I found Word Origin for a-

from Greek a-, an- not, without
      https://www.dictionary.com/browse/a-
      The fact that "a" is in front of "theism" indicates that it is theism being addressed, where one needs to say I am "not" one. Without the "claims" of theism, atheism couldn't exist.

I suppose so, if it asserted anything. 

Poor, ignorant little troll.  Atheism asserts nothing.  It is a rejection of the god claim.  ALL god claims.  There...... you have been corrected.  Be gone.

• Daymellow3 weeks agoReport

wrong! atheism "asserts" there is no god, so in fact is does assert a belief! there you have been corrected.. be gone! 

I assert that I don't believe in God.  That makes me an atheist.  You want more evidence that I'm an atheist?  Sorry, you'll just have to take my word for it.

• Duck

Atheists aren't the ones making claim of a deity. The ones making the claim are the ones required to provide evidence for their claim.

• Daymellow3 weeks agoReport

I can provide proof God does exist.Jesus Is God in the flesh,proof is given, you just have to try to prove that isn't true. Lee Strobel- an ex- atheist tried to prove that that wasn't true.we can see where that ended..("ex-Atheist") "The case for Christ" (evidence of proof)

That's atheist "logic" for you.

• Daymellow3 weeks agoReport

Mike.. angry elf.just because you say something,it doesn't mean its true. it just means you are too ignorant to understand. unfortunately for YOU, you are the FOOL,because if we believe, we have NOTHING to lose if we are wrong, but you have all eternity to regret, if we are right.