Anonymous

When it comes to college. Is it better to live on campus or off campus?

Update:

Whats your experience 

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

I live off campus and it does get tiring driving back and forth, but I have a bigger space. With on-campus living you have more access to everything around campus and when you wake up in the morning you are already close to class and don't have to worry about parking.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It depends on what's easier for you.

• 3 weeks ago

Better to live on campus as it is nicer 

• 3 weeks ago

The decision to live on campus or off-campus is one of the biggest choices new students make. Some colleges require freshmen enrolled in a four-year degree program to spend their first year on campus, but there are some exceptions when schools have this rule. There is no choice that is better or worse for all people. The choice depends on several individual factors.

1. Transportation

Unless students who live on campus work away from the school, there is little need for transportation. Students who do not own vehicles may find it easier to live on campus, especially in bigger cities where public transportation can be slow and a major hassle to use.

2. Privacy

A major benefit of living off-campus is privacy. Most students have to share a room with at least one other person and are also supervised by RAs. Privacy may still be limited when living with roommates off-campus in an apartment, but there is no curfew, dorm rules or communal bathrooms.

3. Food

Another advantage of living off-campus is more food options. Students in dorms usually have access to microwaves or hot plates, but they do not typically have full kitchens in dorms. There may be a cafeteria and restaurants on campus. However, they are not always open, and students do not have the advantage of buying their own groceries and cooking their own healthy meals.

4. Work And Social Commitments

Students who work odd hours may find it easier to live off-campus. Some students prefer to live alone and work more, and this gives them the benefit of coming home to relax without having the usual dorm noise.

5. Finances

As a rule, it is cheaper to live on campus. However, it may cost about the same to live off-campus with several roommates in an affordable home. There is a common rumor that student loan and grant funds can only be used for dorm living, but the remaining funds after tuition are paid can be used for living expenses on-campus or off-campus.

6. Roommates

For most college students, roommates are an issue both on and off-campus. By living on campus, students rarely have a say in who their roommates will be. However, students who live off-campus may be able to choose their roommates or at least have some more options. Students who have legitimate or medical reasons they cannot live with roommates may qualify for private rooms on campus.

• Allie3 weeks agoReport

some dorms have communal bathrooms and rules. like quite hrs 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

living  off campus means less debt 30 years down the pike if you  can find a gig where you get a  paycheck every week,the gig if you select one in line with your intended occupation,, can be feets in the door when you graduate,and a long term career

• 3 weeks ago

My school required students to live on campus freshman year. Most of us lived on campus all four years. The advantage of living in the dorms is that it's easier to make friends. When you get depressed or discouraged (which happens to almost everyone at some point in college), your friends will help you get through it. Most university students move off campus after their freshman year simply because the universities don't have enough housing for everyone. 

• James
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

That's a tough one, and I'm fairly certain I see the choice.  I would say off campus in quiet private digs is best.  On campus you may make more friends, but dare I suggest you aren't really at Uni for four years mainly to make friends.  You need your own space when it comes time to study effectively.  And I don't accept that students are too overwhelmed to buy food and do their own laundry.

You will have to work harder at making friends, but real friends require work anyhow.

There are just too many distractions from studying on campus - parties, drugs, cheap booze, clubs, social groups, entertainers, committees; and you really don't need distractions whilst studying high-level academics.  Party when you get a job to pay for it all.

• 3 weeks ago

i suggest you try both and see which you prefer. on campus first

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

depends on the college.  some require you to do in your lower years.  if you live close to the college, they may let you commute if you want to save on room and board.  but if you want the "college experience" of living in a dorm, that's another topic of discussion.  or if you want to try living in a greek house too.

i went to a community college so i lived at home and drove to school for classes.  

my older siblings all stayed in dorms their first two years before either living off campus in an apartment or getting into a greek house and living there.  they both enjoyed it.  they went to purdue and university of Illinois.

you don't always get to choose your roommates in a dorm, so go in with an open mind.  find some common ground and interests so you're not pestering each other all the time.  as you make new friends you might get to choose your sophomore or later years too, it depends on the college

• drip
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Most universities require freshman to live on campus in a dorm or at home with parents if in driving distance. 

My daughter continued to live on campus. As a dance minor she was often at rehearsal late at night, it was easier and safer to walk on campus to back to her dorm.

Remember with living off campus you have to do your own grocery shopping, cook all your meals and do all the cleaning. Bathrooms at dorms are cleaned by university employees. You have a meal plan and it is all paid for. There is a set amount, living on your own you will need to budget. I know when my kids started to do their own grocery shopping and cooking they were shock at the price of food.  

You may have more space living off campus. But it is usually  a longer walk to get on campus and then to classes.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.