Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 3 weeks ago

Advice for moving in together?

My boyfriend and I are in our late twenties and have openly discussed our relationship and future together. We're both aligned in terms of wanting to live together, get married, and eventually have children. It's important to both of us that we live together before getting engaged to ensure we're truly compatible all around, but we've agreed that since the ultimate goal is to get married, we'd like to get engaged within one year of living together.

Neither of us have ever lived with a partner before so any advice would be greatly appreciated! We really want to work together and have a future together. Thanks in advance. :)

Keep in mind that this is a volunteer activity. No one is making you, forcing you, trapping you.... when it gets tough, and it sometimes will, remember that you both volunteered to do this with your precious lifetime. You are both doing this because you both want to be doing this. Good thing to keep in mind. 

It's really tough to move from moms house and become roommates.

You'd suddenly become his mother with dirty laundry and cooking meals.

Most say with works a little better if you each have lived on your own a bit. Learn about managing rent, billls, job, and what it takes to run a house...laundry, cooking, cleaning.

I think you need to discuss financial arrangements like half of everything is split....food rent and you each buy your own personal items.

I wouldn't rush that

I'd be saving money as he should be doing to.

• rick

You should really try living together for a while before make any decision about marriage. Don't set any limits or make rules, just see what happens, and how it works out.

My advice is to put God first. Putting Him first will bring a blessing. Doing your own will will bring a curse.

Proverbs 3:33 The curse of the LORD is in the house of the wicked: but he blesseth the habitation of the just.

Ecclesiastes 12

13Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

14For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Don't expect it to be all sunshine and roses.  Expect friction,  expect compromise, dirty underwear and  very steep learning curve.  

Before you move in together draw up some hard and fast rules, work out who and how the bills are going to be paid. DO NOT open a joint bank account and put ALL the  utility bills in both names.  

The two of you should try to have some time apart, each of you should have a hobby or pastime you don't  share,  some  me time.

• Linda

My husband and I lived togethers for 3 years bf marrying and it has worked well for us. We have been married for 5 years.

My advice is - no two relationships are the same.  I lived with someone for 3 years, and our marriage lasted for 2 years.

There are no guarantees.