What is the difference between having discriminating tastes, and discriminating against other people?

Is there a difference? 

Update:

I just looked up the word for "discriminating taste" and the dictionary definition says it's using good judgment, or the ability to distinguish between things. I am wondering when the definition became associated with prejudice or hatred?! Was it a cultural evolution of the word? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best answer

They're related. When someone says "I prefer black over white or Asian women" they're indirectly saying that they believe humans come in races and women of X race look and behave all alike (which is false).

If you asked such person: what do you like so much about black women? they'd usually say things like "afro-textured hair", "long legs", "dark skin", etc. We all know not all black women have those, and even if they did, there are other things that (perhaps) count more when it comes to befriend someone or even having an affair.

• ......but I think all races are equally beautiful, but I guess people have their preferences.

• reme_1
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

One is learning to appreciate the better things in life and the other discriminating against other people is just being prejudiced, possibly ignorant.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes.  Things (like cars, hobbies) don't have feelings.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

To discriminate is to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality: or

to note or observe a difference; distinguish accurately: In your examples you are using the word  in two different ways. One with an adverb and one without. In the case of taste the word is used to means to observe a difference or distinguish accurately. If you add the adverb "against" the word takes on a negative connotation. But if you change the adverb to say "toward" or "for" then it has a positive connotation.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

This requires a full and careful understanding of what is often an emotional word. I will provide a long detailed answer because it is very important and a "charged" subject of discussion.The strict definition of discriminate is "perceiving the distinguishing or peculiar features of". It includes "to recognize or identify as separate and distinct". A person has preferences and the ability to discriminate is a process of identifying differences.Discimination, in and of itself, can then allow a person to say and believe one thing is better than another by preference, or by recognized standards, but it is all about differences and recogizing those differences, no matter what it is applied to.

Now we can examine the two concepts in the question separately, now that we know that the word itself is basically a single meaning and I need to add an important addition.Discriminating tastes, discriminating against other people, and discriminating between or among other people as the second is not the same as the third.

Discriminating tastes is the ability to differentiate among foods, materials, art forms and being able to judge good from bad, at least by personal preference, and implied as by society standards. Differences between natural, manufactured, and imitation diamonds are an example. The differences between a fine Italian restaurant and Pizza Hut, or freshly prepared pasta from the boxed dry stuff in the stores. To understand the difference among quality of leathers down to the imitation polyurethane plastic jackets and fabrics of furniture. Normally discriminating tastes is a good thing. Discriminating among (or between two) people can be fine. We choose our friends. We understand generous versus stingy or tight and cheap. We can prefer one religion or politics or social conservative or liberal and choose one versus another to associate with, and even (dare I write it) race, hair styles, music. I dislike rap music and I discriminate between that and other forms. Discriminating between or among people is not necessarily negative or bad.

However, discriminating against people is often immoral or even illegal. It says a group of people is better or worse than another group. When the differentiation used should not apply by society standards it is a bad thing. In renting apartments, hiring for a job, a police officer treating people differently by physical appearance of race, or in an adoption of a child as a very debated issue as related to sexual preferences. It is about what criteria is used to discriminate and in what situation, and there is a history to consider behind it as well. Since it occurs and occurred in the past in immoral or illegal ways, and "against" is a negative or denial, there is often a problem.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

“Discriminating against” connotes prejudice. “Discriminating tastes” connotes an aptitude for refined selectivity. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.