is it illegal to live in a coffee shop?

my gf and i want to open a coffee shop, we’re planning on renting a place where there is two floors, we want to open a coffee shop on the first floor and we want to use the second as a studio apartment where we’re going to live in, would that be illegal?

Zoning laws are local. This site is worldwide.  What you describe is quite common in some places and unheard of in others. 

That's not illegal and in many older cities and older neighborhoods within cities this was the standard set up for hundreds of years. It used to be more common than not that the first floor was the business and the second and third floors were where the family lived.

If the upper level is set up as a real residential space with a kitchen and bathroom, then yes,you can live there. Otherwise, you will have to get permits to create a residential space, if allowable by the town/city,

In most places, yes.  Why don't you ask the local authorities?

• Mike

Look at a picture of any old Main Street in the US. The buildings are mostly 2 or 3 story with a shop on the street floor and apartments on the 2 upper floors. They were called "taxpayers". I can't think of a single building in my neighborhood that had a business on the upper floors except one with a dentist's office. Some storekeepers lived in a room behind the store.There was a building on Ann Street in downtown Manhattan with a men's shop on the 2nd floor. The sign at the front door read: Walk up one flight and save $$. I bought a suit there. Mistake.

• Huh?

In some areas a mixed use zoning with first floor retail and upstairs residential is not unusual. Check local zoning regulations. 

• In

Sorry to step on your answer.  I didn't see it until I posted mine.

i wouldnt think so, i dont think youd be the first people to ever do that

Does it conform to your local city ordinances?

• Murzy

You need to check your town's local laws.

that would depend on your local zoning laws