is it illegal to live in a coffee shop?

my gf and i want to open a coffee shop, we’re planning on renting a place where there is two floors, we want to open a coffee shop on the first floor and we want to use the second as a studio apartment where we’re going to live in, would that be illegal?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Zoning laws are local. This site is worldwide.  What you describe is quite common in some places and unheard of in others. 

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

That's not illegal and in many older cities and older neighborhoods within cities this was the standard set up for hundreds of years. It used to be more common than not that the first floor was the business and the second and third floors were where the family lived.

• 3 weeks ago

If the upper level is set up as a real residential space with a kitchen and bathroom, then yes,you can live there. Otherwise, you will have to get permits to create a residential space, if allowable by the town/city,

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

In most places, yes.  Why don't you ask the local authorities?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mike
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Look at a picture of any old Main Street in the US. The buildings are mostly 2 or 3 story with a shop on the street floor and apartments on the 2 upper floors. They were called "taxpayers". I can't think of a single building in my neighborhood that had a business on the upper floors except one with a dentist's office. Some storekeepers lived in a room behind the store.There was a building on Ann Street in downtown Manhattan with a men's shop on the 2nd floor. The sign at the front door read: Walk up one flight and save $$. I bought a suit there. Mistake.

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

In some areas a mixed use zoning with first floor retail and upstairs residential is not unusual. Check local zoning regulations. 

• In
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Sorry to step on your answer.  I didn't see it until I posted mine.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

i wouldnt think so, i dont think youd be the first people to ever do that

• 3 weeks ago

Does it conform to your local city ordinances?

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You need to check your town's local laws.

• 3 weeks ago

that would depend on your local zoning laws

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.