Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 8 months ago

Step daughter not wanting to hug or love me sometimes?

I have been married to my husband for almost 6 months. He has a 6 year old girl and 3 year old boy. I’ve known them for almost 2 years. They are so sweet and always gives me hugs and love. But lately, I only see the 6 year old girl on the weekends, so not very much. Some weekends she hugs me and is very loving and other weekends she won’t hug me. One weekend we dropped her off at her moms and the mom said to give me loves her for one and she says no or runs away from me and says no I don’t want one, but she will hug her dad. Then a couple of days later she’s hugging all on me. I always feel anxious whenever she comes because I don’t know what mood she’s going to be in. But anyway, does this sound like she’s just being a silly typical little girl or does she not like me? I worry about that a lot but I don’t want to. How can I stop worrying about it? Any advice? Thank you.

• Tulip

Don't be pushy and be patient

• PR

This is confusing for the child. She has a Mom and then her Dad is married to someone else. She may in her own mind think you might be trying to take her mother's place, and she is certainly not old enough to truly sort through these things. Let her know you are there for her and maybe even give her Mom some compliments, say something nice about her. 

Be kind to her and do your best. She is in-between all of the adult things, and they affect her.

She's 6 year old and she knows her birth mom, you need to go with the flow.

She doesn’t know you. That’s why.

maybe shes just not used to you yet