Child support question?

How can i legally in the state of california get a document saying i am intitled to child support for my niece.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

If you're your niece's legal guardian you'd have the right to take her legal parent to court to request child support. Tread lightly though because if this person still maintains parental rights they could always try to challenge you for custody.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Did you get the legal guardianship you were discussing 4 months ago?  IF not nothing else matters yet?  YOU NEED AN ATTORNEY to handle this rather complicated issue or you will f yourself up.  Three children wow instant new family.  

But here you only discuss one child why?

• 3 weeks ago

No.  You might be able to get a judgment ordering some specific person to pay support, if you lawfully have custody.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

I'm not fully aware of CA laws on this but they are generally the same in all states. An aunt or uncle does not have automatic custody or financial responsibility for a child. Any guardian can get what you're asking for. How to go about getting those rights as a guardian is something you'll have to ask your local Domestic Relations office. Domestic Relations is the department that handles all of that kind of sttuff. They are usually county associated so find the DRO sometimes called Domestics Relations Section (DRS) for your county and call them and ask how you go about it.

In most cases to do things with them is to go to the office and fill out a form and they do the rest. I'm not 100% sure on how this works, the DRO/DRS office will know exactly how to and they'll be happy to tell you how.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Ask a lawyer, if you are raising your niece you may be able to get support from both parents.

• 3 weeks ago

First thing is YOU HAVE TO BE LEGAL APPOINTED GUARDIAN threw the court system, then you go to the child support office and apply.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Child support answer!  Go see a lawyer if you really want to know.  Too many people here speculate and often with no knowledge of California law.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You can start by contacting California Child Support Services. https://childsupport.ca.gov/about-us/

But why would you get child support for a niece?

• J
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

I would think you already have court papers if you were entitled to support

• 3 weeks ago

i would talk to a lawyer about it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.