is it true that there have been A LOT of "Scam calls" that are portraying themselves as federal agents? like IRS or other?

Update:

I have been reading about scam calls from area code  866 numbers or 844 numbers that are recordings saying that there is a federal charge against you or some are even claiming to be the IRS or FBI?  what is it that they want and why i read that it is important to hang up and "not press 1" like many want you to do? what that would do?

Update 2:

WHY DOESNT THE REAL FBI GO AFTER THESE PEOPLE? AND PUT THEM AWAY FOR A LONG TIME?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Best answer

yes, a very common scam the last few years. If someone calls and says they're from the iRS, it's definitely a scam. The IRS doesn't initiate contact that way. They even have warnings on their website.

• 4 weeks agoReport

how does the IRS initiate contact? what if they dont have your address?

• Clive
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

What does this have to do with personal finance?

• 3 weeks ago

The IRS and FBI WILL NOT CALL YOU AT HOME! Just tell them where to get off and hang up. OR tell them to send the authorities!! Call their bluff!

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Why doesn't the FBI go after them?  A lot of them are not in the US, the FBI has no jurisdiction.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The weirdest thing is when your own number shoes up on the caller ID. This happened to a friend of mine.  I got the "your Windows machine" call the other day. I asked the guy if it actually worked and he said it does.  As long as there are clueless people who will take the bait, there will be scammers.  

I just have. a hard time understanding how someone could be stupid enoughh to think the IRS takes payment in green dot and iTunes gift cards.  

• martin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Absolutely, the Social Security scam is very well known. Somehow the government can't seem to catch these scammers no matter how many times they are reported to the FTC or DoNotCall.gov.

• 4 weeks ago

Most people are smart enough to see through them but they prey on two groups who are more likely to fall for it: the elderly and Trump supporters.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Trump supporter are the LEAST likely to fall for scams.

• Chris
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Congress cannot be bothered to address the epidemic of robocalls and spoofing. They are too busy trying to impeach Trump.

• Artemisc
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

There are over 400 bills sitting on McConnell's desk that he won't bring to the floor.  Get your facts straight. 

• Jim2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes. Some Jerk called me not too long ago. He said he was from the IRS. I asked him if he even knew my name. Lol. He said, "Mr. John Smith"? I lied and said 'Yes'. He then said I'd be arrested. I hung up.

• 4 weeks agoReport

what did he want you to do? why he said he was calling you?

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Oh, yeah. Just hang up. Medicare, the IRS, and Social Security make contact by letter.

• oikoσ
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Those calls generally ask for money or want you to call another number. In the latter case, I pass the information along to Consumer Protection.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.