Which uses more electricity?

This is going to sound really weird but what wound use more electricity (generally)?

2 hours of a toaster oven at 425

Or turning on my A/C for 2 hours straight......or is it not enough information lol

10 Answers

Relevance
  • KJC
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

This has nothing to do with photography. Please put in correct section.

• Frank
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Usually an A/C would use more electricity than a toaster oven.  I mean, which takes up more power:  A device to cool your 2,500 sf house or a device to heat up 1.5 sf of the interior of a toaster oven?  You would need to look at the specifications of these devices which will tell you how much power they use on an hourly basis.

• 3 weeks ago

depending on  wattage

• 3 weeks ago

Photo, please......................

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Donna
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

The A/C.........

• keerok
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Technically, check the wattage of each appliance. The higher it is, the greater electricity it uses to run. My guess is the AC is far more power hungry than the toaster. Besides, the toaster's timer may not go up to 2 hours. If you force it anyway, it may explode and cause fire. Now that's hot!

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Not enough information.

If it's an A/C unit for a whole house, the A/C unit by far.

• Speed
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The AC, by a huge margin, unless it's a window unit cooling only a single room.

To determine electrical usage, you multiply the appliance's wattage by the amount of time used, then divide by 1000 to get the kilowatts used.

A typical toaster oven is 1500 watts, times two hours, is 3000 watts, divided by 1000 is three kilowatts.

Air conditioners get trickier, because there's a wide range of wattages depending on the size of the unit.

A medium window air conditioner is 900 watts, times two is 1800, divided by 1000 is 1.8 kilowatts. Less than your toaster oven!

A small apartment or house air conditioner might be 2000 watts, times two is 4000 watts, divided by 1000 is four kilowatts.

A larger house air conditioner might be 3500 watts times two is 7000 watts, divided by 1000 is seven kilowatts.

• ioerr
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

not really enough information.  i'm sure there's a lot of different models of ac and toaster oven, with varying power consumption ratings

i'd start with the make and model of each and probably just look up the specs on them

measuring the actual current draw with a kill a watt meter might be a good idea also.

the amount of current they draw probably varies over time as they cycle between their modes of operation, like when the ac compressor kicks on or the oven heater elements turn on/off

• 4 weeks ago

It depends on a lot of things, like how well-insulated your oven is, how hot it is outside, how big a room the A/C unit is cooling, all that stuff.

But it's an interesting question--cooling a whole room maybe 10 degrees vs heating a small insulated chamber about 400 degrees.

Generally I'd say the oven uses more energy, because it's plumbed into 220v while the A/C uses 110v.  The oven is 220v because you can't get as many watts out of 110v.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.