Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 4 weeks ago

Do firefighters have to get a CDL to drive the fire trucks?

depends on where they reside or they are applying for...but i think they do require you a cdl...

• bo

depends. have several friends who are firemen one I just asked works for the city. he doesn't have one and drives a ladder truck. the other one needs one since he is on a volunteer fire department 

Yes Thats the law

• Ron

Some states require a class B cdl, some don't

• JetDoc

I remember when I took my CDL class several years ago, there was a young man who was a volunteer fire fighter in California.  He said the way the law was written in his state, he could drive their fire truck TO the fire without a CDL because he was responding to an emergency but he couldn't drive the truck back to his station after the fire was out.

I believe that can vary by state. I understand that emergency vehicles are exempt under federal law but various states have their own requirements.  Here, drivers are required to have the same licence as they would require for driving any vehicle of that size and weight.

We often see a decommissioned fire truck out and about training drivers.  They are then tested by an official examiner and if successful they can apply for their licence. Even then they are assessed by the boss to check they are competent on a particular vehicle before being allowed to drive it on an emergency call.

It depends on the fire truck and it varies by state. I live in Alberta, Canada and my dad is a firefighter and requires a class 3 license to drive every truck. I'm not sure what our number classes translate to with your system. A class 3 allows him to drive large trucks with three or more axles, his fire department only has one truck that requires this though. A class 4 would do just fine for any other truck though, and it allows him to drive an ambulance.

err no...... it should be obvious. hell, i can go right down to the FD right now, hop in the driver seat, and drive it out anywhere. even a 12 year old can do it, as long as their legs are long enough to reach the pedals. you don't "have" to have anything to drive it other than legs, arms, and eyes.

The asker never specified the legality part, nitwit.

• leeceve

you're physically capable of doing so, but legally? definitely not