Alex asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

Is it dangerous to use ovens at low temps?

Sounds a little weird but a genuine question... is there any risk or danger by using ovens at its low temps? For example for dehydrating something.

There's a number of things you would do at very low temps. It's no more dangerous than any other temp given responsible users. However, one problem I had first hand is if you use a gas range top on very very low with windows open on a windy day, the flame can blow out leaving the gas to build. With windows open would minimize the issues but if the right circumstances came together you could poison everyone or blow the damn house or restaurant up.

• john c4 weeks agoReport

A Range Top is not an oven. 

no.........................................

None, except some ovens will not go down to 120° F. The closest I came was with a Jenn Air convection that went down to 128°.

Why on earth would it be?

• denise

Well, when I'm cooking something low & slow I only have the oven on the lowest setting for my oven which is 'S' for slow, and thats Ok, although my oven is a gas one.

• Beth

Not at all dangerous. I cook prime rib roast in the oven that is set to 200 degrees

I use the oven slow and low a lot. 

I have dried many things in the oven. 

I use the "proof" setting

I use the "Warm" setting

My oven can be set as low as 170 degrees F A a bit hot for dehydrating most things but I have dried bread for stuffing, French toast or bread pudding.

How could there be?

If it was dangerous then an oven wouldn't have that setting.

Are you serious?

there is no danger in using an oven at low temperature except the danger that you're not going to get the food hot enough to kill the germs.

No. It’s the gas stove that you gave to worry about when you’re using it for heat. It produces carbon monoxide and if you leave it on too long without adequate circulation, you’ll get monoxide poisoning. An oven uses electricity to produce heat.