Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 8 months ago

Karl Benz used a four stroke engine in the first car in 1885. How efficient was that engine compared to the modern engines?

His First one was a two stroke in 1879.

His 4 stroke  Otto- cycle of '85 produced a whole   .75 BHP. Less than a moped, and much  heavier. Probably had big flywheel to keep running, so many losses in inertia there, too.  My Daddy said a Model T would eventually get up to 45 MPH, with 20 Hp. Hadda put both ears down in hi gear.

Gasoline I think had an octane rating of 74,  back then. I disassembled one of my old Harley Sprints, it had chromed combustion chamber but eroded from detonation.  Preignition is the limits of power, even now. 

Very inefficient.  They weren't even thinking about efficiency then, just getting the thing to go at all was a triumph.

Considering the "carburetor" was a new invention (I am not sure Benz even used one, I think his fuel system dripped gas into the engine) and the spark plug as we know it were several years off- not very!

The engine was low compression because of the grade of fuel that could be bought.

• JetDoc

It was more fuel efficient than any automobile engine built BEFORE his.

• Steamers can be 85% thermally efficient. Light boilers Or NO boiler at all to improve power-to-weight. A diesel was successfully made before Benz' 4 stroke Otto cycle.

Very inefficient.

A large capacity motor was required to produce very modest horse power, so whereas a modern one litre engine produces circa 65 bhp and does 60mpg, a car with a seven litre engine would produce little more than 15bhp and only return 8mpg.

The modern one litre car would do 90, the veteran with a seven litre engine about 25!

Having said all that, the basic mechanical concept of both vehicles have not changed dramatically in all that time.

• Lv 5

PS... I have a FZ1 that produces 145bhp with a top speed of 163mph so was not thinking of motorbikes. 

• CB

While I could look up this information pretty easily using Google - as could you -  Efficiency would need to be qualified. Fuel efficiency, weight to horsepower efficiency? 

I can tell you from visiting car museums the HP to weight ratio was horrendous right through about the early 40s.  600lb motors putting out a whopping 80hp.