joe asked in PetsBirds · 3 weeks ago

Why did my chickens stop bedding down at night in their coop?

I have 4 chickens with a coop enclosed by a run, and these chickens have been in that run sonar they were old enough to be left outside unattended and usually sleep within the enclosure the coop, but for the past week, they have been sleeping in the far corner of the run, and since we've lost a chicken in the run to a couple coons, I tried coaxing them into the coop just to have them throw a fit and get loud at 1am and vacate the coop again right away unless I close the door but then they just squawk and yell and nitpick each other and are overall on edge, but refuse to lay eggs anywhere but the ONE nook in the coop they all try to lay in, and eat each others eggs if laid in the run and are territorial over it, yet for some reason stopped sleeping in it the past couple weeks. Despite it being heated they stand out in 20deg all stupid. Any ideas?

• audrey

I think there is something getting in that coop at night. Maybe a weasel. Otherwise they'd go in. Try to find that out.

• joe3 weeks agoReport

Left a hunting game cam out there to see if anything unusual happened, caught a long tail weasel pillaging eggs 

• oikoσ

Chickens are birdbrains. A handful of corn or scratch grains on the floor of the coop should get them used to sleeping inside. If they squawk in the morning, let them. As far as egg-eating goes, collect the eggs as frequently as you can and be sure that the chickens are receiving an adequate diet, with not too much in the way of treats.

Could there be a rat or something in the coop?

They joined some cult maybe?