Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

My Husky eats good and he has lots of energy yet when I pet him on his back I can feel his spine is this normal?

• Nathan

He may be sick, he needs to see a vet immediately. If you can't afford this, you can call a shelter for help

How old is he? 

Pups and old dogs have less muscle mass than adult dogs. 

That being said, it's normal to feel the spine as there is not a lot of fat or muscle that would cover it up.

Feeling the dog's ribs may give you a better indication of whether he's too thin. 

The AKC Siberian Husky Standard quotes an acceptable range for an adult male to be between 21 and 23.5 inches tall (53 to 60cm) and weighing 45 to 60 pounds (20 to 27kg). Females are a little smaller, between 20 and 22 inches tall (51 to 56cm), and weight between 35 and 50 pounds (16 to 23kg).

• oikoσ

Touch your own back. Can you feel your spine? Are YOU "normal"?

Being able to feel the bones is normal but  if the spine is protruding it's not.