Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

What are some polite ways to refer to fat people?

Try not to refer to a person';s weight at

all----If

you must speak of the person as being a large person the listener will know what you mean

• Misty

"chubby" or "pleasingly plump".

• susan

If you are a medical doctor, you should have learned the medical terminology for unhealthy weight in med school.

If you are not a doctor, there is no need and no polite way for you to talk about other people's body fat.

• Prince

Refer to them by their names and by things about them which have nothing whatever to do with their being fat, such as achievements and awards and positive characteristics. 

If have to use it, you could use ' obese or obesity '.

• Anonymouse8 months agoReport

The lulz this generated... so abundant 

Why do you need to label anyone?  Just call them by name, or if you don't know it... how about Sir, Miss or Ma'am.

• Lee8 months agoReport

sunybuni,  he doesn't feel good about himself, so instead of him working on his own appearance or issues it makes him feel better to put another person down. 

So, I'm considered... round. I hate that I'm being classed into a "them" category. The offensive ones are: Large, Wide Load, Fatso, Porker, Thunder Thighs, Lazy A**, Portly, Rotund, Huge, Whale, Cow, Big Boned, Chunky, Fatties and Fat. The medical terms are acceptable because they are professional: Obese and Overweight however unless you're a medical professional you ought not use them. The ideas of embracing size such as Curvy, Goddess, Plus Sized, Thick can go out the window. I don't want to be a bigger gal (preferred term) but my genetics say otherwise.

Instead of using fat just say over weight

Chunky, comfortably mature in size, rubenesque...

plus size I guess

• Lv 4

I forgot that one...