Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

Do the think the people who were working at my backyard hurt my dog?

I had people working at my backyard and my dog was watching over them. They asked if the dogs bites or attacks to which I said no he's actually very friendly.

I come back home and I see my dog laying and can't walk due to his leg hurting.

What do you think? I'm really angry right now 

My friend is a vet, i called her. The dog is fine, he is eating a walking but slowly on the legs, his back leg hurts. Atleast life lesson learned not to leave the dog outside since usually when people come, they all play with him. But I also learned that I need to put cameras outside the house.

There doesn't seem to be any evidence.

• Ocimom

Who knows.  YOU were negligent to let your dog be in the back yard when you have strangers working in your backyard.  Should have put the dog in the house or garage away from the workers.

Sorry i do not own a chrystal ball

Friend I don't want to make anybody angry here but the law is very clear and specific when you have workers in your backyard you have to put your dog on a leash. Did you do that? If no then you broke the law. Did one of the workers perhaps hit your dog's foot where the shovel or rake or something because the dog was getting a bit aggressive with them? Maybe yes! But if you had put your dog on the leash or the chain away from the workers as required by law do you think that the workers would have gone over there and attacked your dog who was on a chain or a leash? Think about that a little bit.

I think only a fool leaves a dog unsupervised in the backyard with strangers.

• odd

You should keep your 🐕 insids when strange people are working around your property. They could also claim your dog bit them and open yourself up to a lawsuit. And if you weren't there how would you defend yourself in court?

• Star_of_Darkness

Its not abuse since the dog was likely agressive and they fended it off or the dog was injured due to the work happening. Either way its the dog owners fault

• *****

No way to know whether your dog was injured accidentally, either related to their work or totally unrelated, or whether someone hurt him. Why would you leave your pet unattended with a bunch of strangers trying to do a job? Even if your dog is friendly, he could still have been very much in the way, and depending on what they were doing, could easily have been accidentally injured. For example, if they're trimming trees, he could have been struck by a falling branch. 

Take him to the vet. Do not leave him unattended with service providers in future.

• y

What type of work were they doing? Dogs/pets and kids should not be around when many types of things are being done. They can easily become hazards and such.  A dog should never be unattended in a situation like that, if you had to leave, the dog must be secured, preferably where it could not be underfoot.

I also would be very angry, but the one who actually did your dog wrong is you, that is where your anger should be focused. You did not do the things you should have to prevent an accident from occurring. All that follows is on you. One who has a fear of dogs, does not have any understanding of dogs, is not going to trust your friendly dog.

I have a very friendly dog, has never nipped, bite, growled, misbehaved in any matter around kids, adults, or other dogs. But he is sort of howls a greeting of hello when he meets people. I have seen many, even those with dogs of their own, sort of hesitate when he does this. I know that is how he says hello, most do not.

• Nathan

I think they could of done something. Send them a message where you tell them you're outraged that they harmed your dog, and that your neighbour watched it happened. If they were innocent they would deny it, if not they either won't respond or will give you a lazy excuse.

Your dog must be taken to a vet immediately, or you can call an animal shelter for help, but if they do admit to doing it you can take them to court and they will have to pay the vet bills

• Nathan

You were implying that he did bite them, I was responding on the hypothesis of "He but then so they hurt him"

You do not leave your dog unattended to "watch over" strangers on your property.   That is a recipe for disaster.

Yes they may have hurt your dog.   But your dog may have done something to precipitate that.

You could have very easily prevented this.

ETA:  The workers have every right to defend themselves from an aggressive dog.   You weren't there and don't know what happened. 

• Star_of_Darkness

They had no right to leave the dog outside while people were working. They can legally harm the dog if it's a threat to them