Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 3 weeks ago

Christians, should we remarry if the love of our life dies?

Husband and I have found ourselves divided on this. While I believe it would be adultery, as the Bible tells us that if we divorce and remarry, being with the new spouse would be considered adultery. Yet, if the spouse dies and remarries it's the same situation, only you both still love eachother as the living remarries, so I see it as possibly even worse! While husband says if I died he'd be lonely and think it'd be ok to remarry. This makes me very sad. I've seen multiple cases of husband's dying, Steve irwins wife for example, says she'll never remarry as she's already found her happily ever after. Loneliness can be fulfilled in the church, children, animals etc. Remarrying would just be fulfilling a desire to still have sex not just loneliness, as that can be fulfilled in other outlets. I love my dear husband and have devoted my entire life despite what happens, but I feel he cannot say the same, and that breaks me up inside. What's your view?

Another example would be queen Victoria, who's husband died quite young and, yet, she went her final 60 years wearing black and never marrying again. Do you see the beauty and purity in that?

• Orla C

You think that remarrying after a spouse has died is adultery? Utter and absolute nonsense. 

And as for having to be married to enjoy sex, please .... it's the 21st century, not the Middle Ages. 

Yes, you shouldn't be alone.

I married my college sweetheart just before Sr. yr. We were only married one yr. bec we were hit by a drunk driver and I lost her. I loved my wife and enjoyed marriage so very much that I did want to marry again. I remarried 3 yrs later and we were married 52 yrs when she passed away. I don't think I will marry again, but I never say never. As we witnessed friends dying over the years, we noticed that the widows(ers) that had a happy marriage wanted to marry again. Those who had an unhappy marriage did not. I feel that a remarriage is actually a tribute to the first spouse.

I see no reason to let a bunch of old men make that decision for you. 

If you want to be alone do not remarry. Next find other books of fiction to read.

If he feels better about dating or remarrying that is his right.  And a mate that dies is not an issue unless he killed her.

• GB

I have a great step-dad, and am glad my  mum remarried after my Dad died.  They had no trouble getting married in a church, so the priest did not consider  they were 'committing adultery.'

• GB

Edna, that;s the point I am making to the asker.  

This really comes down to the beliefs of your particular sect of Christianity as there are many and they vary greatly on their tenets. This could be easily resolved by visiting your member of clergy to get your sect's interpretation.

YES, life doesnt stop for those who are left behind.

What's wrong with re-marrying? Just know that if you're too into Christianity you won't have a fun sex life.

• Edna

No where in the Bible does it say that a widow or widower cannot marry again.