Is it necessary as a real estate photographer to know how to take photos in the evening? ?

I want to get a real estate photographer job soon. I feel like I am confident in taking photos during the day. I have never took them at night and don’t know how just yet. Will I need to know how to do this before getting a job? Or can I just say I don’t do photos in the evenings

• Frank

Most real estate photos are pretty mindless snapshots of the various elevations and rooms.  It really depends upon the market you're in.  

Shooting at night is not likely as has been stated by others.  If anything, you'd shoot during the golden hour which is an hour before & after sunrise or sunset.  Most of the time you'll want to shoot early morning or later in the afternoon to avoid the harsh and ugly mid-day light.  Also when shooting with the outside light not as bright, this means that the brightness of the room will be more in line with the exterior thus avoiding blown-out windows.  Of course, you can also just take multiple exposures and blend as needed.Before you do anything, you will need to have your portfolio put together showing off your best 10-15 real estate photos.  If you don't have a portfolio showing off your real estate photos, then you're not going to get a job unless the employer is desperate and knows nothing about real estate photography.

The real issue here is what are you going to do in a room that does not have 4 windows to let all the daylight into your scene?

You need lighting, and you need to know how to use that lighting. Daylight shots are best, but you have to be able to light those rooms or areas that do not have abundant natural light so that you get a well-exposed photo. Relying on a pop-up flash for this will not work, it will look like crap. You also don't have the power available for a large area that is not brightly lit, like a basement or attic, and probably more than one interior room as well.

You can try and do this without proper lights, and you will get photos that look like you tried to do this without proper lighting equipment. What you use to take the photos is much less important than what lights you use, and how you use them.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get this lighting, not suggesting that at all. A couple of decent hot shoe flashes with stands and radio triggers will set you back less than $200, and much less than that if you shop around. You could also use hot lights, provided you have a source of power for them, or even a couple video lights on stands that run off batteries. Whichever the case, you have to have something.

The vast majority of real estate photographs would NOT be taken in the evening as they would not show buildings and/or areas to their best advantage ... unless you're trying to show something that has an exceptional night-time view.

Evening photos won't show the building at advantage.