Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 4 weeks ago

Should I bother studying dentistry if I lack social skills?

I'm really interested in studying dentistry but lack social skills to which is why I'm afraid it won't work 

Yeah, although you will have to talk to people but education is more important 

it's ok.. many doctors and dentists have absolutely no bedside manner, so join the crowd

That's what dental hygienists are for. They interface with the client, do all the cleaning, then you come along and glance at their x-rays and tell the hygienist what needs to happen. You just smile and say something sim[le like, How are you feeling, Mr. ____? Don't worry, we'll fix you up. When you have a small collection of set phrases to work with, you don't need to banter with the client or discuss philosophical or personal issues. You could be a good dentist. Just focus on your studies and the rest will come with practice.

Social skills is something humans start learning the moment they are born. Newborns naturally seek their parent's face and make eye contact. If you are lacking in social skills then you need to ask yourself why and get some help. So ask yourself if you really lack social skills or if you have some personality disorder.

I don't have any social skills either! Why can't people accept that fact instead of trying to force me to fit in with them and make friends with them and like them???

You dont have to have social skills to be a dentist.